----------
From: robert@acad.UUCP (Robert Wenig ext 609)

Sun has ported Decnet to their machines, I'm quite happy with it. I don't
know about other Unix boxes.

----------
From: ittfb@dcatla.UUCP (Thomas F. Blakely)

If you've got a SUN, or access to one, they have Sunlink DNA
to do DecNet access.  It does dnalogin, dnacp and dnals, which
all do what you would expect based on the names.  It also lets
you "set host" on your vax to a SUN.

----------
From: sanand@radha.UUCP (Sanand Patel)

Well, if you buy DEC UNIX (Ultrix), you can true DECNET protocols right
on the UNIX machine. I think they also provide some gateway software as
well.

----------
From: johnw@astroatc.UUCP (John F. Wardale)

DECNET, and in the Dec's newtork for VMS?   If so, you can run
Eunice on the the VMS vax and run TCP/IP to/from that!   Much
nicer from the unix box's point of view, and all you really need
is (if you don't have it) is Eunice.  (Oh, yes...this assumes you
have a *REAL* (i.e. BSD type) Unix-machine!)

----------

--
Ron Heiby usenet@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: mod.newprod & mod.os.unix

zap@ttds.UUCP (Svante Lindahl) (04/13/87)

I found the following in my archive, which might be of interest to the list.

----------
>From: HAL%USU.BITNET@wiscvm.arpa
Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards
Subject: reply to 4.3BSD or Ultrix

Subject: 4.3BSD or Ultrix?

A company called Technology Concepts Inc. markets a
generic DECnet that reportedly runs on 4.xBSD, called
CommUnity.  Their literature claims it is compatible
with DECnet Phase IV, UNIX as an operating system.

their address is:

        Technology Concepts Inc.
        40 Tall Pine Drive
        Sudbury, Mass 01776
        (617)443-7311

We are not using the product ourselves because we chose
Ultrix. We migrated from Eunice on VMS.  I suspect that
#2 above might or might not be correct depending on what
must be converted.  We converted Writers Workbench from
Eunice(4.1bsd?!) to Ultrix with no problems, but we have
yet to get S working 100%.  DECnet Ultrix works real well.
File copies, remote rm's ls's and cat's are easy both ways.
Task to task communications with VMS is a piece of cake.
All our printing and tape work is done over the network
to VMS machines.
                                hal