[mod.compilers] Compilers digest Vol. 1 Number 3

compilers@ima.UUCP (01/03/86)

[from compilers-request at IMA]

To: compilers
--------
Aho and Ullman's `dragon book' has been updated, has a new co-author, and
carries a 1986 copyright (?).  The new title is, I think, *Compilers:
Design, Principles, and Tools*.  The new co-author with Aho and Ullman
is Ravi Sethi.

It has been updated to reflect a number of advances in compiler technology
since the original dragon book.

EDITOR : Could you write up a review of the changes to the original edition
	 and a review of the book in general since some people have never
	 heard of the "dragon book"?

--
Karl Kleinpaste

From ima!ism780!ism780c!darryl
From: Darryl Richman <darryl@ism780c.UUCP>
Subject: Re: Compilers digest Vol. 1 Number 2

Has anyone looked at some of the newer, more automated methods of code
generation.  I built a small code generator based on some of the ideas by
Graham and Glanville, supporting Unary *, =, +, and Binary -.  I built it
for the 68k in about 5 hours.  This technique presupposes a linear
intermediate language, which you then parse with, say, a LALR(1) parser,
emitting coe (or not as appropriate) with each reduction.  The productions
represent addressing modes and operations.

EDITOR : Darryl, could you post some more notes on Grahm and Glanville's
       : ideas and maybe the code you wrote???)

Oh, BTW, although YACC itself is owned by AT&T, isn't it the case that
the output from yacc owes nothing to them?  I believe that you owe no
royalties for the use and distributions of /lib/yaccpar.

EDITOR : Darryl, this has been hashed out before, and as far as I know the
       : parser that yacc cranks out is IN NO WAY owned/operated/controlled
       : by AT&T.

	    --Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
Send submissions to:  ima!compilers
Send requests for additions, deletions, back issues, etc. to:
	ima!compilers-request

ima is reachable as { ucbvax!cbosgd | ihnp4 | cca | bbncca | think |
	uiucdcs | allegra | inmet | yale | harvard }!ima!...

Arpa mail may make it to ima!compilers@CCA-UNIX or ima!compilers@BBNCCA

Peter Barada (editor)	John Levine (mailman)
--------