[net.sf-lovers] Aux armes, Citoyens!

Leban%hp-hulk.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (06/22/85)

From: Bruce <Leban%hplabs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

> Yesterday in a bookstore I picked up a book
>         Return to Oz  a novel by Joan D Vinge
> based on a movie from Disney studios.  Now the world knows that the
> marvelous Oz books were written by L Frank Baum, may his name be
> honoured for ever.  This variant either dropped out of a parallel
> universe or is a condensation of a couple of those books, especially
> The Land of Oz (Copyright MCMIV by L Frank Baum. All Rights
> Reserved).
>
> An author lives in his books.  To deprive an author, however long out
> of copyright, of the acknowledgement that is his due is a foul
> crime....  Meanwhile, let all who care about courtesy (at least) to
> authors living and dead BOYCOTT THIS BOOK.  May those who have
> perpetrated this injustice be hated and despised by all intellectual
> beings, both men and angels, throughout eternity!

If you read carefully, you see that credit is given to Baum, as it is
declared that the movie "Return to Oz" is based on /The Land of Oz/ and
/Tik-Tok of Oz/.  (At least it so declares in the movie ads.  I have not
inspected the book.)  This book is the novel version of the particular
story that is told in the movie and as such is hardly a legitimate cause
for damnation anymore than the movie is.  (Although, I suppose I should
wait to see how bad the movie is. (:-))

After all, if you go and look in your bookstore again, you will find
millions and millions of Sherlock Holmes stories not written by Arthur
Canon Doyle as well as the several Oz books that were written after
Baum's death (I don't remember the author's name).
-------

richardt@orstcs.UUCP (richardt) (07/02/85)

>...as well as the several Oz books written after Baum's death
>I don't remember the author's name.)

there were more Oz books written after Baum died than he himself
wrote.  The author was female(!) and wrote about 18 books, for a total
of abou t 35 books before 1954.

"If I'm human, what are *YOU*?"
					orstcs/richardt

JAFFE@RUTGERS.ARPA (07/09/85)