[mod.recipes] RECIPE: Incredible crab or shrimp dip

lat@druil.UUCP (Larry Tepper) (11/30/85)

.RH MOD.RECIPES-SOURCE CRAB-BUTTER A "22 Dec 83"
.RZ "IRISH's CRAB BUTTER" "Incredible crab or shrimp dip"
My first encounter with this dip came at a New Year's party a
few years ago.  I was standing by the munchies table trying not
to embarrass myself too much, when a woman came up to me and
pointed out this dip.  She explained to me that at a previous party
she had lost control eating it and got a spoon!
.PP
It's incredibly rich, and requires a lot of will power not to
eat too much.
.IH "Makes 2 1/2 cups"
.IG "1/2 cup" "butter"
.IG "1 cup" "cream cheese"
.IG "1/4 cup" "mayonnaise"
(or Miracle Whip if you must)
.IG "6 oz." "crab meat"
(I recommend Wakefield Crab, Shrimp or Shrimp & Crab)
.IG "1" "onion"
(medium to large, chopped fine. Don't try to use instant onion in this
recipe)
.IG "some" "cocktail sauce"
.IG "2 Tbsp." "lemon juice"
.IG "1/2 tsp." "crushed garlic"
(or a pinch of instant garlic)
.IG "1 Tbsp" "Worcestershire sauce"
.PH
.SK 1
Allow butter and cream cheese to soften before starting.
.SK 2
Mix mayo, butter and cream cheese.  Do not use a blender, as the
mixture will get soupy.
.SK 3
Add lemon juice, garlic, worcestershire
sauce, pepper, etc. to taste.
.SK 4
Mix in crab (or whatever) and
onion.  Of the choices, I feel crab is the best.
.SK 5
Chill at least two hours, cover with cocktail sauce.  This is an
important part of the recipe.
.NX
I usually use Crosse & Blackwell's cocktail sauce,
but feel free to use any kind that you trust.
You can make your own simple cocktail sauce by mixing
3 parts catsup to 1 part horseradish and adding tabasco, garlic,
worcestershire sauce to taste.
.PP
Serve over Triscuits (they're nice and strong, to survive heavy
scooping) or veggies.  Irish is the friend from whom I got this
recipe.
.WR
From: lat@druil.UUCP (Larry Tepper)
Date: 22 Dec 83