stever@cit-vlsi (07/09/85)

From: stever@cit-vlsi (Steve Rabin  )

"Don't Bite the Sun" and its sequel "Drinking Sapphire Wine"
form the best science fiction love story I've ever read.
Actually this is also the only science fiction love story
I've read.

Lee also has a gothic SF novel - "Lycanthia".  It is a sequel
to the farcical "Anna Medea" in her latest anthology, "The Gorgon".

My reaction to "The Gorgon" was mixed.  This collection has two
of Lee's best short stories (Meow & Sirriamnis), but it also
has many stories which I found rather slow and boring, and
several with a bad pun for a title.  Also, I had read Sirriamnis
before, in "Unsilent Night".

Of all Tanith Lee's books, my favorite is "To Kill the Dead",
which happens to be a ghost story.

One image that blows me away is the brash male hero/villain/thief
at the door with the roto-rooter/well rope/spell and the withdrawn
female protagonist behind the window shades hoping he will go
away soon.

Some of these books are very sexually emotive.  Lee also plays games
with my concept of "parent".

-s

jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) (07/09/85)

> "Don't Bite the Sun" and its sequel "Drinking Sapphire Wine"
> form the best science fiction love story I've ever read.
> Actually this is also the only science fiction love story
> I've read.

I have THE SILVER METAL LOVER by Lee, which I consider the best
SF love story........... ;-}

However, I tried to order DON'T BITE THE SUN and DRINKING SAPPHIRE
WINE a day or two ago, and my friendly local bookstore has never
heard of it!  Help!  Is it out of print?

> Lee also has a gothic SF novel - "Lycanthia".  It is a sequel
> to the farcical "Anna Medea" in her latest anthology, "The Gorgon".

Are you sure?  I read LYCANTHIA a while back, and I just bought
THE GORGON.  I don't remember any similarities between the novel
and any of the short stories.

Actually, a lot of her work is in the style of LYCANTHIA.  As
I think I've pointed out before, she is primarily a sword/sorcery
writer.  Try her first novel, BIRTHGRAVE.

--

					AMBAR
                    	{the known universe}!ihnp4!ihlpg!jeand

friedman@h-sc1.UUCP (dawn friedman) (07/10/85)

> From: stever@cit-vlsi (Steve Rabin  )
>
> "Don't Bite the Sun" and its sequel "Drinking Sapphire Wine"
> form the best science fiction love story I've ever read.
> Actually this is also the only science fiction love story
> I've read.
>
> Some of these books are very sexually emotive.  Lee also plays games
> with my concept of "parent".
>
> -s

She does have some rather strange ideas, including a rather heavy-
handed insistence on male-female polarity.  And have you noticed
her brother-and-sister villains?  Maybe not -- but see "Day by Night"
and "The Silver Metal Lover".  The latter is not a bad love story at
all; and a friend once told me that the mother-daughter relationship
in it should tell me something ( --)).

More on sexuality in SF, or is that too dangerous for a relatively
mild-mannered newsgroup?

                                                   dsf

                                           (Shacharah --
                                             of course!)