[net.sf-lovers] Oz books

geacc022%timevx@cit-hamlet.arpa (06/22/85)

From: geacc022%timevx@cit-hamlet.arpa

> Another little known fact, visible if you go to a B. Dalton
> bookstore and look at the recent republishing of Oz books...most
> were not written by L. Frank Baum, but by another author, and
> published under Baum's name.

    My understanding was that L. Frank Baum wrote the original 14
books, which were recently republished by Del Rey, and that others
wrote more books after he died under their own names.  I have heard,
but don't know for sure, that Del Rey is planning on republishing
some of the books written by Ruth Plumly Stapleton (sp?).  I hope
so, at any rate!

    You may be confusing these later books with the ghostwritten
books you refer to -- or you could be right.  I'd never heard that
one before.

			Gary Ansok
			GEACC022%TIMEVX @ CIT-HAMLET.ARPA
			GEA @ CALTECH.BITNET
			...ucbvax!cithep!timevx#geacc022

"I do hate it when my computer programs speak to me about morality.
    Especially when they are right."

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (06/25/85)

Has anyone ever heard of an analysis of the Oz books in which
everything has political meaning?  Supposedly the scarecrow
represents farming interests, the tin man big industry which lacks a
heart, etc.  I saw a short newspaper article on it once long ago and
have never been able to find the idea further expanded.
--
					--rick heli
					(... ucbvax!ucdavis!groucho!ccrrick)

unixcorn@dcc1.UUCP (math.c) (06/25/85)

In article <2352@topaz.ARPA> geacc022%timevx@cit-hamlet.arpa writes:
>> Another little known fact, visible if you go to a B. Dalton
>> bookstore and look at the recent republishing of Oz books...most
>> were not written by L. Frank Baum, but by another author, and
>> published under Baum's name.
>    My understanding was that L. Frank Baum wrote the original 14
>books, which were recently republished by Del Rey, and that others
>wrote more books after he died under their own names.  I have heard,
>but don't know for sure, that Del Rey is planning on republishing
>some of the books written by Ruth Plumly Stapleton (sp?).  I hope
>                                         ^^^^^^^^^
                                          Thompson
  When L.Frank Baum died in 1919, Reilly and Lee (the publishers of his
books) decided to find another author who could  continue the one book a
year cycle that was so profitable for them. Ruth Plumly Thompson fit the
bill perfectly, she had grown up on the OZ books, was already an author
of childrens books and she needed the money to support her mother and
invalid sister.  The first book she wrote was published under Baum's and
her name (to promote continuity) but was all her own work. Later they used
the phrase Founded on and Continuing the Famous OZ Stories by L. Frank Baum.
She wrote 19 books in the series (5 more than Baum)

  Other OZ authors include John R. Neill (long time illustrator of OZ books)
                           Jack Snow
                           Rachel R. Cosgrove
                           Eloise Jarvis McGraw and Lauren McGraw Wagner

Anyone out there have a copy of 'The Royal Book of OZ' they are interested
in selling?  I have a spare copy of the 'Hungry Tiger' to trade.
--

             unixcorn  (alias m. gould)

                   "there's a unicorn in the garden and he's eating a lily"
                    gatech!dcc1!unixcorn

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (06/27/85)

In article <132@dcc1.UUCP> unixcorn@dcc1.UUCP (math.c) writes:
>[....]
>  When L.Frank Baum died in 1919, Reilly and Lee (the publishers of his
>books) decided to find another author who could  continue the one book a
>year cycle that was so profitable for them. Ruth Plumly Thompson fit the
>bill perfectly, she had grown up on the OZ books, was already an author
>of childrens books and she needed the money to support her mother and
>invalid sister.  The first book she wrote was published under Baum's and
>her name (to promote continuity) but was all her own work. Later they used
>[....]
>             unixcorn  (alias m. gould)

	The "Reader's Guide to Fantasy" - Searls, Meacham & Franklin pg 27
states that "The Royal Book of Oz" (her first) was a work up by her of
notes that Baum left his demise, so the accreditation would be proper
(that is if this is correct - i have no information to the contrary).
--
Gregory J.E. Rawlins, Department of Computer Science, U. Waterloo
{allegra|clyde|linus|inhp4|decvax}!watmath!watdaisy!gjerawlins

unixcorn@dcc1.UUCP (math.c) (06/29/85)

In article <7334@watdaisy.UUCP> gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) writes:
>In article <132@dcc1.UUCP> unixcorn@dcc1.UUCP (math.c) writes:
>>[....]
>>year cycle that was so profitable for them. Ruth Plumly Thompson fit the
>>bill perfectly, she had grown up on the OZ books, was already an author
>>of childrens books and she needed the money to support her mother and
>>invalid sister.  The first book she wrote was published under Baum's and
>>her name (to promote continuity) but was all her own work. Later they used
>>[....]
>
>	The "Reader's Guide to Fantasy" - Searls, Meacham & Franklin pg 27
>states that "The Royal Book of Oz" (her first) was a work up by her of
>notes that Baum left his demise, so the accreditation would be proper
>(that is if this is correct - i have no information to the contrary).
>--
>Gregory J.E. Rawlins, Department of Computer Science, U. Waterloo

 Sorry, should have posted my sources in the first article..
From 'The OZ Scrapbook' by David L. Greene and Dick Martin---

"Actually it was entirely the work of Miss Thompson. Despite Baum's
statement that he left material for the 1921 book, Miss Thompson used
no Baum notes for 'The Royal Book'."

Also, in reply to another poster, Ruth Plumly Thompson was NOT the
daughter of L.Frank Baum.

--

JAFFE@RUTGERS.ARPA (07/08/85)

From: boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (JERRY BOYAJIAN)

I won't repeat the wealth of Oz information that others have so
eloquently given, but one point remains to be questioned:

> From: mccullough.pa@Xerox.ARPA

> Another little known fact, visible if you go to a B. Dalton
> bookstore and look at the recent republishing of Oz books...most
> were not written by L. Frank Baum, but by another author, and
> published under Baum's name.

I assume that you refer to the recent Del Rey trade paper reprints
of some of the Ruth Plumly Thompson Oz books. If so, your "little
known fact" is dead wrong. They were *not* published "under Baum's
name" --- the by-line is very clearly Ruth Plumly Thompson. There
*is* a line referring to the books as "continuing the famous stories
of L. Frank Baum" or somesuch (I can't quote it directly) and
granted, it's in type as big as the title or by-line, but that's
another matter entirely.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

<"Bibliography is my business">

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (07/10/85)

[]
t least they kept it in the family. Ruth Plumly Thompson was Baum's
daughter wasn't she?

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg