[net.music] Worst Lyrics: "Fish heads..."

wendya@apollo.uucp (Wendy Alberts) (10/08/84)

The "Fish heads" song, if I remember correctly, was one of a series
of similarly weird pieces recorded by a UCLA student and submitted
to Dr. Demento when he was doing his original Sunday night show on
KMET in Los Angeles (mid-seventies or earlier...). I don't remember
the student's name, but she was very creative and prolific; she
apparently did all her recordings on a little cassette player in the
UCLA dorm where she lived at the time. BTW, "Weird Al" Yancovic also got
his start in the same way; Dr. Demento was playing his stuff (much of
it FAR weirder and funnier than the recent Jackson parodies) many
years ago... And as for bad lyrics in general, some of Dr. Demento's
favorites would win any competition hands down (e.g., "Dead puppies
aren't much fun...   YEECHH!!!).

W. Christensen

jeff@alberta.UUCP (C. J. Sampson) (10/11/84)

>The "Fish heads" song, if I remember correctly, was one of a series
>of similarly weird pieces recorded by a UCLA student and submitted
>to Dr. Demento when he was doing his original Sunday night show on
>KMET in Los Angeles (mid-seventies or earlier...). I don't remember
>the student's name, but she was very creative and prolific; she
>apparently did all her recordings on a little cassette player in the
>UCLA dorm where she lived at the time. BTW, "Weird Al" Yancovic also got
>his start in the same way; Dr. Demento was playing his stuff (much of
>it FAR weirder and funnier than the recent Jackson parodies) many
>years ago... And as for bad lyrics in general, some of Dr. Demento's
>favorites would win any competition hands down (e.g., "Dead puppies
>aren't much fun...   YEECHH!!!).

For some of the strangest lyrics, you should look to Tom Lehrer.
He did a lot of parodies of styles of songs (rather than individual
songs) back in the '50s and '60s.  Has anybody here ever heard of him?
C. J. Sampson	Snail Canada: #712 11135-83rd ave.	***DISCLAIMER***
ihnp4!alberta!jeff		Edmonton, Alberta	+--------------+
ubc-vision!alberta!jeff		CANADA  T6G 2C8		| These may    |
sask!alberta!jeff					| be opinions. |
		 					+--------------+
"He who spends the storm beneath a tree, takes life with a grain of TNT."

dbb@fluke.UUCP (10/11/84)

"Fish Heads" is from an album by Barnes and Barnes called
something like "Voobaha."

"They're not good dancers
 They don't play drums"
--

Dave Bartley	  UUCP:	{decvax,ihnp4}!uw-beaver!
John Fluke Mfg Co.		   {sun,allegra}! fluke!dbb

hosking@convex.UUCP (10/20/84)

Speaking of "Dead Puppies", who can forget:

I'm looking over my dead dog Rover
who I hit with a power mower
One leg is missing, another is gone
The third leg is scattered all over the lawn
No need explaining the one leg remaining
It's spinning on the carport floor
I'm looking over my dead dog Rover
who I overlooked before

or something like that....

Tom Lehrer ? Never heard of him. <:-{)
Now THAT's making me feel old.  I first heard of him nearly 20 years ago,
when I was about 5!

You can't take three from two
Two is less than three
so you look at the four in the tens place
Now that's really four tens
so you make it three tens, regroup
and....

Hooray for new math, neeeeeew math
It won't do you a bit of good to review math
It's so simple, so very simple
That only a child can do it
					- Tom Lehrer
					  from "That was the Year That Was"

I won't offend Catholic readers with "Vatican Rag" or some of his other
more controversial stuff.

6912ar04@sjuvax.UUCP (rowley) (10/26/84)

Is that tape-recording female (I don't remember her name) the same one who
did "Dream,Dirty Dream" of Dementian renown?   Also, whatever happened to
the Dr. Demento show,anyway?

                                  Anthony J. Rowley

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Zonker T. Chuqui) (10/30/84)

In article <223cc7de.708@apollo.uucp> wendya@apollo.uucp (Wendy Alberts) writes:

>The "Fish heads" song, if I remember correctly, was one of a series
>of similarly weird pieces recorded by a UCLA student and submitted
>to Dr. Demento when he was doing his original Sunday night show on
>KMET in Los Angeles (mid-seventies or earlier...). I don't remember
>the student's name, but she was very creative and prolific; she
>apparently did all her recordings on a little cassette player in the
>UCLA dorm where she lived at the time. BTW, "Weird Al" Yancovic also got
>his start in the same way; Dr. Demento was playing his stuff (much of
>it FAR weirder and funnier than the recent Jackson parodies) many
>years ago...

Her name was 'sue lou' (spelling probably wrong) and she was great. She
even opened for a couple of local concerts during her day. Barnes and
Barnes did 'fish heads' and got their start with the Good Dr. as well as
Weird Al. A little known fact is that the group Devo was played by the Dr.
a couple of years before they cut their first record-- in fact I believe
'We are Devo' was first played on that show. Last time I was in LA the
Dr. had gone off live radio-- KMET now plays the same 2 hour syndication
show that we all get to hear rather than the old 4 hour live show. sigh.

--
From the Department of Bistromatics:                   Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

  I'd know those eyes from a million years away....

pugsly@isrnix.UUCP (David Roth) (11/02/84)

Dr.Demento is alive and  well, check your local radistations.
                 David Roth
        ...decvax!pur-ee!isrnix!pugsly
                   Indianapolis,IN
        Where I get demented on