[net.sf-lovers] "Where no man has gone before"

milne@uci-icse (06/28/85)

From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>

   I usually take that frontispiece "... boldly go where no man has gone
   before" in about the same vein as the publishers' scribbles on the covers
   of paperbacks: if, by some accident, they come close to describing what's
   in the book, you're lucky.  And it's true that Enterprise from time to time
   undertook explorations in previously untrodden (so to speak) territory.
   However, most of the time she had duties to fulfill as one of the 12 or 13
   most powerful ships of the Federation's fleet.  She could hardly do that
   while spending 5 years out of contact with anybody at all.  Furthermore,
   how likely is it that anybody would send so expensive a ship and crew out
   simply to be a remote survey vessel?  Or that StarFleet would entrust *all*
   diplomatic dealings with newly-contacted races to a crew whose primary
   orientation was military?  Let Enterprise and her sisters establish first
   contact, but let the Federation's diplomatic corp do their job as soon as
   possible.

   Though as for the naming of the newly discovered planets, they seemed to
   follow a naming system using first the name of the constellation in which
   the sun was found, a Greek letter specifying the particular sun (possibly
   by absolute magnitude), and a number specifying the planet of that sun.  So
   they could actually specify names for as-yet hypothetical planets.  One
   wonders if all the constellation names were for those seen from Earth, or
   if other planets got their points of view represented as well.

   So I take it for granted that, though they may occasionally go where no
   human has gone before (boldly, I trust), they will usually be going where
   there are plenty of humans, and others, already.

   (Do you realise how many people must now think that "... to boldly go..."
   is acceptable English grammar?)

   Alastair Milne

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (07/01/85)

In article <2422@topaz.ARPA> milne@uci-icse writes:
>From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>
>

>   I usually take that frontispiece "... boldly go where no man has gone
>   However, most of the time she had duties to fulfill as one of the 12 or 13
>   most powerful ships of the Federation's fleet.  She could hardly do that
>   while spending 5 years out of contact with anybody at all.  Furthermore,
>   how likely is it that anybody would send so expensive a ship and crew out
>   simply to be a remote survey vessel?  Or that StarFleet would entrust *all*
>   diplomatic dealings with newly-contacted races to a crew whose primary
>   orientation was military?

England did just that through much of the wet-navy-in-sailing-ships
period, just like it suggests in the Hornblower books.

>   (Do you realise how many people must now think that "... to boldly go..."
>   is acceptable English grammar?)

If the British would'a thrown that norman fellow off the island in 1066,
it *would* be acceptable grammar -- that whole "don't split infinitives"
business is an execreble Latinism.  (Please note that there is a joke
encoded in the last sentance.)
--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

richardt@orstcs.UUCP (richardt) (07/03/85)

>How likely is it that anyone would send so expensive a ship
>off into nowhere for 5 years?

Very.  As a general rule, exploration ships fall into two classes:
unarmed and armed.  Unarmed exploration ships are usually designed
so that they are so pathetic as to not be a threat to anyone.  Marco
Polo did this and it worked fairly well, albeit with a few backfires
along the way.  Armed explorers tend to be armed with the most
powerful weapons that the society can hand to a non-military ship.
When you already know of several hostile races in your neck of the
galaxy, it is far better to assume that the natives will shoot first
and ask questions later than to lose crews in the nether regions
of the universe.  For one thing, the appearance of an alien ship is
usually a dead give-away as to its origin.  Besides this, the
Enterprise was travelling in regions which were known to have Klingon
ships running around in them.  In a situation where a nation is
exploring out from a multinational border, esp. when one of the nations
is hostile, the explorers had better be armed.  Besides, human
ships are always armed.  Haven't you read any space opera?

As for naming, I believe most of the visible stars have been named.
I see no reason to assume that this trend will stop anytime in the
future.  Man, as a race, is arrogant.  As long as StarFleet sticks
to names of the form Starname-Planet_#, they're on well
established ground.

					orstcs/richardt
"If I'm human, what are *YOU*?"

friedman@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA (07/03/85)

>  Though as for the naming of the newly discovered planets, they seemed to
>  follow a naming system using first the name of the constellation in which
>  the sun was found, a Greek letter specifying the particular sun (possibly
>  by absolute magnitude), and a number specifying the planet of that sun.

It was never stated where they got the constellation names and Greek letters,
but the simplest explanation is that these were taken from Earth's
constellations and the standard star-naming scheme in use on Earth, in
which the brightest star (apparent magnitude) in a given constellation is
alpha, the next is beta, etc.

Of course, there were maverick names throughout the series.  For example,
one planet is called "Ingraham B".  I like to think that "Ingraham" might
be a gas giant with an inhabitable satellite in the second position from
the giant.

JAFFE@RUTGERS.ARPA (07/08/85)

From: duke!crm (Charlie Martin)

From: friedman@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA

JAFFE@RUTGERS.ARPA (07/09/85)

From: orstcs!richardt (richardt)

milne@uci-icse (07/11/85)

From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>

> >How likely is it that anyone would send so expensive a ship off
> >into nowhere for 5 years?

> Very.  As a general rule, exploration ships fall into two classes:
> unarmed and armed.
> Besides,
> human ships are always armed.  Haven't you read any space opera?

     What on earth has this response got to do with the question?  Unless you
     equate weaponry with expense, it seems irrelevant.

     The point of the question was that Enterprise was one of the 12 or 13
     most advanced ships in the fleet, and as such served a number of duties,
     of which exploration and experimentation (not necessarily synonymous)
     were only two.  The Federation simply couldn't afford to send so powerful
     and useful a ship off on its own, out of all contact, for so long a
     period.  A year perhaps, maybe two, and even then you'd see it seriously
     debated in Starfleet's upper offices.

     Enterprise is certainly far more than a scout ship, and the question
     involves much more than whether she should be armed  --  which she is, of
     course, heavily.

>  As for naming, I believe most of the visible stars have been named.

     Do you indeed?  (I assume you're talking about individual, non-systematic
     names like Rigel, rather than Beta Orionis).
     Assuming that by "visible" you mean what the unaided eye can see (from
     Earth) on a night with good seeing and no extraneous light to obstruct
     vision, then there are many more stars than have been named.  Add a
     telescope, and you can just about forget the idea of individual,
     non-systematic names for every star (how many? 100,000?  1,000,000?
     10,000,000? more?).  Now widen your scope to every star in the galaxy,
     not just the restricted set we can see.  Is the degree of horror becoming
     clearer?

>  Man, as a race, is arrogant.

     Not nearly as much as so many apologists would have us think.  Besides,
     what relevance has this to naming the stars?

>  As long as StarFleet sticks
>  to names of the form Starname-Planet_#, they're on well established
>  ground.

     Naturally.  This is the purpose of doing things by convention,
     systematically.  Can you imagine the chaos (and the suicides by
     librarians) that would ensue if the individual names given by a thousand
     civilisations to over 10,000,000,000 stars were *all* in common use!!??
     Besides, every time you discovered a new one, you'd have to invent a new,
     *distinct* name for it.  Far better to have a system that has a slot
     already allocated for it.  Spare the librarians.

  Alastair Milne