[net.sf-lovers] welsh-ish names

ops@ncsc (07/09/85)

From: ------ Operator <ops@ncsc>

When I was a little girl writing stories I used to make up
names for my characters by banging on the typewriter like
this --- wsdfgbhnjmkpoijuhgv --- and throwing out every other
letter so I'd have a character named wdghjkojhv (pronounced,
of course, wedge-koohdge-hahv).  I would make up words like
ouejw (oh-eej-wa, I think) for that ytebdg on mcnhhf-mvhsx.
Sometimes I think that's what some authors do, too.
                  (Bring to a boil)
My point: Dialect is well and good when it adds to the story,
but when you have to skip over the word even silently because
it's unpronounceable, a line must be drawn.  Authors shouldn't
give into the silliness I described above or, even worse, the
follow the growing number of authors basing their books on
Celtic and non-Western mythos by inserting 'welsh-ish', or
'japanese-ish' or swahili-ish' sounding words as a hook.
                  (Reduce to simmer)

Jessie@ncsc
-------

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (07/11/85)

> My point: Dialect is well and good when it adds to the story,
> but when you have to skip over the word even silently because
> it's unpronounceable, a line must be drawn.  Authors shouldn't
> give into the silliness I described above or, even worse, the
> follow the growing number of authors basing their books on
> Celtic and non-Western mythos by inserting 'welsh-ish', or
> 'japanese-ish' or swahili-ish' sounding words as a hook.
>                   (Reduce to simmer)
>
> Jessie@ncsc
> -------

Er, um, I can't tell you how sorry I am
that you feel that way.  Allow me to suggest
that when BROKEDOWN PALALCE comes out you
don't read it.

		-- SKZB