[net.sf-lovers] LtUaE: Canadian edition = British edition

jbuck@epicen.UUCP (Joe Buck) (07/10/85)

I have a Canadian edition of Life, the Universe, and Everything, which
I picked up in the airport at Montreal a few years ago (it wasn't available
in paperback in the US yet). I never knew there was a difference, but
sure enough, there's the f word and the a word (no Belgium, I'm glad to
say). I haven't located the car yet.

I don't understand the reason for the cleanup. Almost every mainstream
novel published recently in the US has worse language.
--
Joe Buck		Entropic Processing, Inc. (epi)
	  		UUCP: {ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!epicen!jbuck

chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) (07/12/85)

In article <158@epicen.UUCP> jbuck@epicen.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
>I have a Canadian edition of Life, the Universe, and Everything, which
>I picked up in the airport at Montreal a few years ago (it wasn't available
>in paperback in the US yet). I never knew there was a difference, but
>sure enough, there's the f word and the a word (no Belgium, I'm glad to
>say). I haven't located the car yet.
>
>I don't understand the reason for the cleanup. Almost every mainstream
>novel published recently in the US has worse language.

I don't know about you but I think the idea of 'Belgium' being considered
a dirty word was one of the funniest items in LtUaE.  I've heard before
about how the English version uses f*ck instead.  Frankly I can't believe
that Adams with his talent would even consider that to be funny.

Chris

--
"Roads?  Where we're going we don't need any roads!"