[mod.legal] BBS Law Seminar Latest

BEC.SHAPIN@USC-ECL.ARPA (Ted Shapin) (12/07/85)

Notes on the seminar forwarded from the NABBSO FIDO BBS:
- - -
From: Paul Bernstein 312-951-8264
Subj: Sign-Up

The signup is via John_Marshall Law School
at 315 S. Plymouth Ct.  Chicago, Illinois, Attn;
Professor George Trubow.  We really need a big push
to get the program off the ground.  Only 8 sign-ups
as of 12/2/85, and we needed about 50 to break even.
When I say "we", I mean the Law School.  Perhaps you
can contact Professor Trubow's office on this to
see if the conference is a go or no-go.  I'll
post more when I know more.

The cost is fifty bucks.  I suspect that two lawyers
from the same firm could attend.  We tried to promote the
seminar in a fashion consistent with the media, but I think,
in retrospect, we were a bit too optomistic.  At this point,
George is very concerned about the cost of putting on a program
with such modest pre-registrations.  Would you mind calling
George if you think you'll be able to attend?  And, in any
even, I'd like to know more about your BBS.  I'm compiling
a list of legal-oriented BBS's and intend to publish
an article about them.

Alex:  Your points are well taken and well presented.  However,
like many things in life, where does one find the time to
devote to these endeavours?  NABBSO had hoped to get "off the
ground" with the John Marshall Law School Seminar, which is
now seriously considering cancelling the Seminar due to apparent
lack of interest--at least that appears to be the case based
on the number of sign-ups.  Regardless of the Seminar's
happening or not, we should surely keep up this dialog.

Ron:  I am sure John Marshall will hold the fifty buck fee for
registration; and, the idea of no at-the-door was so that
the Law School could get a fix on the number of people who
would attend.   This, for room purposes, reproduction,
facilities and, last but not least, would the program be
economically feasible?  Appears as of this moment that
not enough folks have signed up and the program
WILL PROBABLY BE CANCELLED!  TOO BAD, TOO, AS WE
REALLY HAVE A STAR-STUDDED GROUP COMING IN FOR THE
PROGRAM.
Only a last minute on-slaught will save the Conference.
CALL PROFESSOR TRUBOW AT THE LAW SCHOOL:
312-987-1445 if you can make it.  Let's save the
Seminar.

From: John Witmer
To:   Paul Bernstein

Subj: Cost of Seminar

Paul, I fully understand the problems associated with the cost of
conducting the seminar.  However, the poor registration proves
the point that I was trying to make--sysops have zero to nil marginal
propensity to spend.  If the issues to be discussed are importantant
enough to raise questions about the survival of the medium, then we
all better rush to figure out a way to fund the project other than
placing it on the already burdened sysops backs.
Regards,

-------

info-law@ucbvax.UUCP (12/27/85)

In your article <12165034800.27.BEC.SHAPIN@USC-ECL.ARPA> of 6 Dec 85 22:11:59 GMT, you wrote:

> Notes on the seminar forwarded from the NABBSO FIDO BBS:
> even, I'd like to know more about your BBS.  I'm compiling
> a list of legal-oriented BBS's and intend to publish
> an article about them.

> WILL PROBABLY BE CANCELLED!  TOO BAD, TOO, AS WE
> REALLY HAVE A STAR-STUDDED GROUP COMING IN FOR THE
> PROGRAM.
> Only a last minute on-slaught will save the Conference.

It is really too bad that it seems that the seminar will be canceled.  I
believe that we have failed to realize that most SYSOPS ( myself included )
have other jobs that fund the system.  We are running a PLEXUS P-60 16 user
system and trying to make it.  So far the system does take a majority
of my extra money - so much for being able to fly to Chicago for the
seminar.

There really needs to be better communication among the sysops for legal
and other reasons.  Perhaps setting up a mailing list such as
info-gnu-emacs would be the first phase.

The seminar would be wonderful -perhaps just a bit too much ahead of its
time BUT NEEDED!!!!!

Please keep me informed, I may not be able to contribute to the Airlines
but will do as much as possible to suport the ideals that the seminar
encompased.

Regards!   Rich Garrett
--

ncoast!rhg@Case.CSNet (ncoast!rhg%Case.CSNet@CSNet-Relay.ARPA)