[net.sf-lovers] Science Fiction in Music, evv

lum@osu-eddie.UUCP (Lum Johnson) (07/14/85)

[ evv = et vice versa ]

In article <391@spar.UUCP> freeman@spar.UUCP (Jay Freeman) writes:
> >In article <2655@topaz.ARPA> Alan%DCT.AC.UK%DUNDEE.AC.UK@ucl-cs.ARPA writes:
> >... I've seen many forms of SF discussed ... [except] ... music, either
> >its SF content or ... [influence] ... on ... SF writing.
>
> ...  [A]s an attempt to come up with a gap-bridging conversation-starter,
> can anyone think of interesting examples of written SF in which music
> played a dominant theme?  One such might be Melinda Snodgrass's Star Trek
> novel, _The_Tears_of_the_Singers_.

Another might be Ann Maxwell's _The_Singer_Enigma_.  The cover blurbs do no
justice to the book, which is just as well, since the potential damage to a
"mysterious origins" story from detailed blurbs would be quite substantial.
The development of alien culture here is excellent, including the recent
impact of a new technology of instantaneous (but limited) teleportation and
its tightly controlled ownership (reminiscent of the expected effects of the
oil cartel that recently failed).

If you can apprectiate sf mystery novels, this may be for you.  Music, per se,
has little to do with the story, but singers, very talented singers indeed, do.

Lum Johnson ..!cbosgd!osu-eddie!lum or lum@osu-eddie.uucp