[ont.sf-lovers] what the hell is going on here!!!

rhmctavish@watnot.UUCP (03/29/87)

Is there no sf lovers in Ontario?????

Come on lets get some postings on here.

dagibbs@watnot.UUCP (03/30/87)

In article <12731@watnot.UUCP> rhmctavish@watnot.UUCP (Lord Tavish of HPSS) writes:
>Is there no sf lovers in Ontario?????
>
>Come on lets get some postings on here.

Yes there are sf lovers in Ontario, trying going to Maplecon or Ad Astra, but
any who have access to the net, like you and me, probably, like me, look
into this group, found nothing here, never heard anything, so either don't
post or unsubscribe.  Why post if you don't think there will be an audience?

		David Gibbs
		dagibbs@watnot.UUCP

(I'm not crazy, I just think I am.)

ccplumb@watnot.UUCP (03/30/87)

There are no postings becuse there's nothing (that I can think of)
that belongs in ont.sf-lovers that doesn't belong in rec.arts.sf-lovers.
Literary discussions can be carried out everywhere, and cons are big
enough to post to can or na.  What's left, except announcements of
Bakka's birthday parties?

In fact, I move to *kill* this newsgroup.  It's just cluttering up
active files.

Opinions?
--
	-Colin Plumb (watmath!watnot!ccplumb)

Silly quote:
He's letting ground grow under his feet.

dagibbs@watnot.UUCP (03/30/87)

In article <12739@watnot.UUCP> ccplumb@watnot.UUCP (Colin Plumb) writes:
>There are no postings becuse there's nothing (that I can think of)
>that belongs in ont.sf-lovers that doesn't belong in rec.arts.sf-lovers.
>Literary discussions can be carried out everywhere, and cons are big
>enough to post to can or na.  What's left, except announcements of
>Bakka's birthday parties?
>
>In fact, I move to *kill* this newsgroup.  It's just cluttering up
>active files.
>
>Opinions?
>--
>	-Colin Plumb (watmath!watnot!ccplumb)

Actually there are some possible uses, they being:

1. Announcement of small cons, ones that would not pull an international
   crowd. (for example Wilfcon III would have been in that category, do
   you know what it was, It happenned right next door at Wilfred Laurier.)

2. Looking for science fiction related clubs in Ontario, which would
   be inappropriate to post world wide.

3. Looking for specific fans (i.e. people) in Ontario.

4. Discussing stores for the finding of Science Fiction, not major
   enough for world discussion, but it is not unlikely that you
   may visit several Ontario cities, and maybe even look for science
   fiction books there, especially true for finding second hand books
   where not every store carries the same thing.

5. Flaming ccplumb. (nyah, nyah Colin)

and many more.

	David Gibbs
	dagibbs@watnot.UUCP

(I'm not crazy, I just think I am.)

ccplumb@watnot.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <12741@watnot.UUCP> dagibbs@watnot.UUCP (David Gibbs)
suggests some uses for ont.sf-lovers, which could (I think) be covered
by Distribution: ont in rec.arts.sf-lovers.  I think this newsgroup
is a holdover from pre-Distribution: days.  However, others have pointed
out to me that the flamage this discussion is capable of causing is
more undesirable than the clutter of an unused newsgroup.

In this light, I retract my proposal as not being worth the bother.
I'll take the simpler route, unsubscribing.
--
	-Colin Plumb (watmath!watnot!ccplumb)

Silly quote:
That's a sight for deaf ears.

msb@sq.UUCP (03/31/87)

> I think this newsgroup is a holdover from pre-Distribution: days.

Actually, it's a holdover from a period when net.sf-lovers (as it
then was) wasn't available in Toronto and anywhere fed from Toronto.
The feed has since been reinstated.  It was argued that some people
didn't have time to read the main sf-lovers group but would have
time to read the lower volume in ont.sf-lovers, so the group was
retained.  The traffic then dwindled rapidly.

Mark Brader 		"There are three rules for writing the novel.
utzoo!sq!msb		 Unfortunately no one knows what they are." -- Maugham

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (04/01/87)

In article <12752@watnot.UUCP> ccplumb@watnot.UUCP (Colin Plumb) writes:
>In article <12741@watnot.UUCP> dagibbs@watnot.UUCP (David Gibbs)
>suggests some uses for ont.sf-lovers, which could (I think) be covered
>by Distribution: ont in rec.arts.sf-lovers.  I think this newsgroup
>is a holdover from pre-Distribution: days.  However, others have pointed

     Exactly.  This newsgroup was formed
when our prior newsfeed decided to drop
the old net group for SF.  We felt that
although we would not get the US feed,
there might be enough people into SF
in the Province alone to maintain a
local group.  Later, an alternative
feed was set up and this group has
generally fallen into unuse.

     Actually, I've had recent misgivings
about the state of the current 'rec'
group.  I really don't like it much
because it's *so* active.  I dunno,
when is Bakka's birthday anyway?
:-)

Cheers! -- Jim O.

--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

cs3c3cd@maccs.UUCP (cs3c3cd) (04/02/87)

In article <12731@watnot.UUCP> rhmctavish@watnot.UUCP writes:
>Is there no sf lovers in Ontario?????
>
>Come on lets get some postings on here.

Werezak - sci-fi-lover - Heinlen, etc.

a) Why didnt Aliens win best picture (why wasnt nominated)
b) Have you read 'Shards of Honour' and 'The Warriors Apprentice'
   by Lois McMaster Bujold? <---good book, new author?

Richard Werezak (cs3c3cd@maccs, uasst4@mcmvm1.BITNET, carson@mcmaster.BITNET)

becky@sq.UUCP (04/04/87)

In article <515@maccs.UUCP> cs3c3cd@maccs.UUCP () writes:

>a) Why didnt Aliens win best picture (why wasnt nominated)

`Cuz nobody saw it!  Too many people didn't go because they
thought it would be as gory and scary as ALIEN was.  And those
that went for the goryness and scaryness were disappointed,
so THEY weren't about to vote for it.  I was hoping it'd WIN...

>b) Have you read 'Shards of Honour' and 'The Warriors Apprentice'
>   by Lois McMaster Bujold? <---good book, new author?

No!  I've got both, but haven't had the time to start either of them!
I did read her third book, ETHAN OF ATHOS, which is really excellent.

-Becky Slocombe.

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (04/07/87)

I am a recent subscriber to this group (it is better to travel in hope than to
arrive!) and note that my feed doesn't pass on much of the recreational stuff,
but _does_ carry all the Ontario news.  To me this is one fine reason for
keeping this group alive, always assuming anyone has something to say.

On this subject, I have a very large computerized index of Science Fiction
(including a small amount of Science Fantasy) developed over the last 20 years.
Does anyone know of any on-line indexes that can be directly accessed, because
I would like to compare notes?  By the same token, is there any interest in
making such a service available locally?  Sadly, my index is not available in a
generally useable form because it is the continuing experimental vehicle for a
proprietary operating system and file system.  However, should there be enough
interest to warrant the experiment, it might be possible to front end this with
a suitable teleprocessing server.

--
Robert Stanley             decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!roberts
                    Voice: (613) 738-1440 (on EST) Tuesdays only