[ont.sf-lovers] A revival, a revival

cks@ziebmef.uucp (Chris Siebenmann) (11/06/88)

 Now that ont.singles has been revived for a while, let's see if we
can do the same for our other long-moribund Ontario newsgroup.

 If not, we could always give in and remove it...

 So, anyone know what Guy Gavriel Kay is doing these days? Or
Toronto's Bunch Of 7? Or Charles De Lint, for that matter (I saw the
cover for a new De Lint paperback down at Bakka (Toronto's best SF/F
bookstore) on Friday -- anyone know the release date)?

--
	"I shall clasp my hands together and bow to the corners of the world"
			Number Ten Ox, _Bridge of Birds_

ragnarok@ziebmef.uucp (Ragnarok of Ziebmef) (11/06/88)

In article <1988Nov5.165746.19568@ziebmef.uucp>
cks@ziebmef.uucp (Chris Siebenmann) writes:

> So, anyone know what Guy Gavriel Kay is doing these days? Or
>Toronto's Bunch Of 7? Or Charles De Lint, for that matter (I saw the
>cover for a new De Lint paperback down at Bakka (Toronto's best SF/F
>bookstore) on Friday -- anyone know the release date)?

Sorry, but I'm batting a thousand on all those questions - I just read 'em,
more's the pity.  I probably should keep better track of up-and-coming
projects, but annoying things like work and sleep get in the way...

On the other hand:  Is there any reason to limit discussion in this group
to just Canadian authors, their stories and the ideas contained within?
I realize that opening the topics up may result in a newsgroup that's an
identical copy to rec.arts.sf-lovers, but some interesting cross-discussions
could result...

--

Ragnarok ------------------- ragnarok@ziebmef.UUCP : Eschew obfuscation.
uunet!utgpu!{ontmoh!moore,ncrcan}!ziebmef!ragnarok :   - W. L. Mackenzie King

king@client1.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (11/07/88)

In article <1988Nov5.165746.19568@ziebmef.uucp> cks@ziebmef.uucp (Chris Siebenmann) writes:

> Now that ont.singles has been revived for a while, let's see if we
>can do the same for our other long-moribund Ontario newsgroup.

Good idea. But no parties for this group. Instead, I suggest we get
together and build a full scale mockup of the USS Enterprise. Think what
fun that would be. We just need some space to assemble it; Exhibition
Stadium would be good, once the dome is open. We can't put bleach bottles
out for recycling so let's start saving them for the outer skin of our
ship. I'll bet there are lots of bright people out there with plenty of
good ideas which we can steal^H^H^H^H^H use.   Post away, folks!

--
  {utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!zorac!dretor!king  or  king%dretor@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca
  Stephen J King   =-=   DCIEM Human Factors Division   =-=   (416) 635-2149

chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) (11/07/88)

In article <1180@client1.dciem.dnd.ca> king@client1.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) writes:
>Good idea. But no parties for this group. Instead, I suggest we get
>together and build a full scale mockup of the USS Enterprise.

Mr. Gameway's Ark used to have one on their top floor, until they went out
of business and became a Gold's Gym. Anyone know what happened to the
mockup?
	-chk
--
C. Harald Koch		NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca, chk@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu, chk@chk.mef.unicus.com

alastair@geovision.uucp (Alastair Mayer) (11/10/88)

In article <1988Nov5.165746.19568@ziebmef.uucp> cks@ziebmef.uucp (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
[...]
> So, anyone know what Guy Gavriel Kay is doing these days? Or
>Toronto's Bunch Of 7? Or Charles De Lint, for that matter (I saw the
        ^^^^^^^^^^

Well, I know what some of the Bo7 is up to.  Mike Wallis has moved to
California (LA for a contract, and then SF where his girlfriend is -
or is that vice versa?).  Indeed, due to weird immigration laws, he
couldn't come back for the last Ad Astra and was "Chairman-in-Exile".

Steve Stirling has taken over the editing of a new shared-universe
series for Baen Books.  Working title when I was involved in it was
"Tales of the Silver Service", hard SF centred around a "Space Force"
in the mid-21st century.  This has been kicking around for a while -
a bunch of us - Jim Baen, Jerry Pournelle, me, Harry Stine, and a few
others started kicking the idea around on BIX about two years ago,
developing the background.  Henry Vanderbilt and I put together the
first drafts of the timeline and technology background.  The thing
has seen a bunch of delays -- an associate of Pournelle's was the
first editor, there were stories promised from Larry Niven, Poul
Anderson, etc, but the thing seemed to submerge for a while.  Editorship
moved to Baen Books in New York for a while, finally Jim gave it over
to Steve.  Last I heard things are really starting to happen. (Finally!)
I think Steve is also involved in another project with Pournelle.

Dunno about the rest of Bo7 -- I think I remember hearing that Karen
sold her book, but don't recall details.   Ad Astra 8 was fun but
I was a bit too rushed to catch up on all the news.

-- Alastair

andytoy@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Andy Toy, Applications Support Group) (11/15/88)

In article <1181@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca> chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) writes:
>In article <1180@client1.dciem.dnd.ca> king@client1.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) writes:
>>Good idea. But no parties for this group. Instead, I suggest we get
>>together and build a full scale mockup of the USS Enterprise.
>
>Mr. Gameway's Ark used to have one on their top floor, until they went out
>of business and became a Gold's Gym. Anyone know what happened to the
>mockup?

Anyone know if there are still any stores around that are like Mr.
Gameway's Ark? or the Science Shop?
--
Andy Toy, Applications Support Group, Department of Computing Services (DCS),
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA N2L 3G1, 519/885-1211 x3417

jdnicoll@watyew.waterloo.edu (Brian or James) (11/15/88)

 I can't help but point out that there are several gamestores in KW.
I'm posting this message from mine, 'Imperiums To Order' at 103
Queen st. S. Kitchener. My impression is that the number of gamestores
remains constant, with new stores replacing the old. Toronto seems
undersupplied. I'm not sure why that is.

heath@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Todd Heatherton) (11/16/88)

My girlfriend is a fantasy-crazy person (in the true science fiction and
fantasy way--no wierdos need reply).  SHe has been looking for a book by
a person named Eddings.  Apparently this book is currently available in
hard-back, but she is waiting for the paperback version (easier to read
and less expensive).  Does anyone know when the new David Eddings will be
out in paperback?  (p.s. the guys at Bakka (sp? Baaka?) dont know when
the big day is either).

Cheers

heath@gpu.utcs.edu    or     psyc.utoronto.edu!heath
No disclaimer since nobody really cares what I think

owenr@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Russell Owen) (11/17/88)

Tanya Huff (previously of the Bunch of 7) has a book on the shelves.
"Child of the Grove", buy a copy, go to Bakka and she may autograph it.
(She works there).

															Russ,
--

Russ Owen				UUCP	owen@utgpu.uucp
Toronto, Canada.			BITNET	owen@utorgpu.bitnet

chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) (11/21/88)

In article <5283@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> andytoy@watdcsu.UWaterloo.CA (Andy Toy, Applications Support Group) writes:

>Anyone know if there are still any stores around that are like Mr.
>Gameway's Ark? or the Science Shop?

Well, the Science Shop is still alive and well in Toronto, with a store in
the Science Center and one at Yonge and Bloor (in the Holt Renfrew Center).

As for game stores, Toronto seems to have a drought, but places like the
Worldhouse are still alive and well.

	-chk