[ont.sf-lovers] Publishing Times

tomwest@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Tom West) (04/21/89)

In article <3859@geaclib.UUCP> rae@alias.uucp (Reid Ellis) writes:
> Two friends of mine are involved in 'making' books -- one is an
> artist, and the other a fantasy writer [but one day she might get
> into science fiction, I don't know].  The artist has managed to be
> published three times by Anik Press.  Meanwhile, the writer has
> submitted her story billions of times and has yet to be published,
> even thought the second book is almost finished [it's a long wait
> while editors read your first work, I guess :)].
>
> It *seems* that the artist was published much more quickly than
> the writer, so I would ask -- is this generally true?  I haven't
> read any of the writer's work yet [she won't let me until it's
> published :)] so I can't comment on the relative quality of the
> two of them -- besides, I value my life!  And how would you
> compare visual art with written art?
>
> Still rambling..
> 					Reid

  Actually, the speed of publishing time relates to how large the companies
involved are.  In the case of the artist, it is a much smaller company and
they give a contract before commissioning the artist the first time.  In the
case of the author, it has been over 1.5 years, however, most of this time
was spent waiting for a reply from the publisher involved.  (Because of the
time lag, it might seems that it has been resubmitted many times, but it
has only been resubmitted once (to the same company).  The timing can often
look like this:

Author writes masterpiece :-)  					6 months
Author submits outline and first 3 chapter (unsolicited)
Submission sits on "slush pile"					2-3 years(!)
Reader likes it, asks for rest of manuscript.
Author jumps for joy submits manuscript.
Submission sits on editors "must do" pile.			4-8 months
Editor likes it with reservations, ask for rewrites
Author smiles for joy, does rewrites				1-3 months
Author resubmits it.
Submission sits on editor's "must do" pile			4-8 months
Editor read it and likes it.  Passes to editor-in-chief
Submission sits on editor-in-chiefs "must do" pile		3-6 months
Editor-in-chief has reservations, asks for rewrites
Author groans for joy, does rewrites				1-3 months
Author resubmits it.
Submission sits on editor's "pass it on immediately" pile	1-2 months
Submission sits on editor-in-chief's "msut do" pile		3-6 months
Editor-in-chief likes it offers contract.
Author dies of heart-attack.

Approximately one year later, the book will actually be on the shelves.

(By the way, those who have been published seem to dislike the term
"author" being used for someone who has not yet been published.  In fact
the term "writer" is reserved for those who have been published, while
the term "author" is reserved for those who have
published 5 books or more!  THe term "author" is used above in the
uneducated way that some poor slob like me would use it to mean someone
who has written something.)

  In general, most writers who have been published will say that a five year
period from inception to contract it about the norm.  However, much of this can
be avoided by avoiding the "slush pile".  Interestingly enough, this only means
that you need a connection.  Any connection.  A writer who is already published
will do (with the same publisher!).  Although, no writer who wants to keep
his or her publisher will recommend something s/he doesn't think his/her editor
will like.  After all, keeping in an editor's good books in *really* important.
In the case of the above mentioned would-be-writer (the proper term for the
unpublished masses, apparently :-)) managed to avoid it by meeting an editor
for the company at the CBA!  This is perhaps the most blatantly unfair part of
the business, but that, unfortunately, is how the business runs.

--
				Tom West

BITNET:         tomwest@utorgpu.bitnet, tomwest@gpu.utcs.utoronto
Internet:       tomwest@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
UUCP:           tomwest@utgpu

		utzoo, yetti, harpo, mnetor \
		cbosgd, deepthot, utoronto  -  !utgpu!tomwest
		ihnp4, lsuc, sfmin, vnr-vpa /

pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) (04/24/89)

I was just wondering, with all this talk about publishing times for
`would-be-writer's', how would someone like Piers Anthony fare.  His
Xanth series is what, up around 12, he has published 100's of books,
I wonder what his time lag is.  Probably pretty short, but do you think
he is working on #13 now or is it about #16.

--
Paul Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services  | You know, I really don't
University of Waterloo.                             | think you should do that!

gerard@theory.utoronto.ca ("Gerard A.J. O'Hara") (04/24/89)

In article <5852@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) writes:
>I was just wondering, with all this talk about publishing times for
>`would-be-writer's', how would someone like Piers Anthony fare.  His
>Xanth series is what, up around 12, he has published 100's of books,
>I wonder what his time lag is.  Probably pretty short, but do you think
>he is working on #13 now or is it about #16.

I read in the back of a Xanth novel,
that Piers Anthony has up to 5 books in the works at any one time.
He also has rather firm dates (to the month) of when they will hit
the market.  This probably results from his expierence in writing,
and the fact that he says he never gets writer's block.
If only we all were so lucky!
Gerard O'Hara              |   Sorry, no funny lines today.
gerard@theory.utoronto.ca  | I've got real work to do.

jagardner@watmath.waterloo.edu (Jim Gardner) (04/25/89)

Paul Frattaroli writes:
>I was just wondering, with all this talk about publishing times for
>`would-be-writer's', how would someone like Piers Anthony fare.

I can't tell you about Piers Anthony, but I can give you an idea
for Orson Scott Card.  At last year's Ad Astra (second week in June,
if memory serves me correctly), Card announced that he had delivered
the manuscript for 'Prentice Alvin to his editor the day before he
left for the Con.  'Prentice Alvin hit the bookstores in early March,
I believe (hard cover, of course).  That's something like nine months
from delivery of manuscript to the stores.

		Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (04/25/89)

In Canada, almost all hardcover sales take place in the few months
before Christmas.   A bestseller in December is worth many times
a bestseller in June.

So publishers in Canada will often hold a book they expect to do
well to appear in the gift season.

In the US, this is not so much the case.  People buy books all year
round there.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

lynda@hcr.UUCP (Lynda Williams) (04/25/89)

Thanks Tom.  That's real encouraging.  I always make notes of that
sort of "how someone got published" information, however, so it's
valuable.  I've hoarded up enough now to be thoroughly discouraged
about ever getting published but it doesn't seem to help. I'm
going to concentrate on writing my 7 novel saga instead, since I
can't seem to cure myself.  It's been evolving for so long it's
a way of life.

The disease I'm suffering from the most right now is "rewrite-itis".
This is where a drafted chapter gets rewritten, and rewritten, and
the plot shifts slightly, so it gets rewritten again ... ad nauseum.
Rewrites driven by plot shifts actually don't cause me too much
grief.  It's descriptive sections I bog down in.  People keep telling
me there has to be lots of description. Personally I like minimal
descrition. Just enough to set a scene and help define the characters
or action.  A little sensory input. That sort of thing. I'm not good at
description. I'm good at dialogue, plot, motivation and background history.

Anyway, I'd like some opinions from readers and other would-be
writers.  It seems to me that there are successful books out
there that don't lavish pages on description.  But I know I'm
prejudice because I'd like to spare myself the part I find least
interesting and hardest to accomplish gracefully.  I'm even willing
to post a page to give you something to go by, if necessary, but
that might just confuse the issue.

jagardner@watmath.waterloo.edu (Jim Gardner) (04/26/89)

In article <407@hcr.UUCP> lynda@hcrvax.UUCP (Lynda Williams) writes:
>People keep telling
>me there has to be lots of description. Personally I like minimal
>description. Just enough to set a scene and help define the characters
>or action.  A little sensory input.

Gack!  If there is one thing that separates amateurish writing
from the real thing (apart from bad grammar and spelling of course),
it's putting in pointless description.  Description MUST serve a
purpose; it must advance the plot, or heighten characterization,
or establish a mood, or help the reader interpret events or setting.
Description for the sake of description is bush league stuff.

This doesn't mean you should avoid description; it means that you
should make your description count.  Description should ALWAYS move
the story forward.  For example, in most stories, we see the events
from the point of view of the characters.  Even in stories written
in the third person, we tend to follow one person for a while, then
move to another person's point of view, and so on.  When we are seeing
a scene from a character's point of view, it is helpful to describe
the scene as the character sees it.  You don't describe things that
the character would normally ignore, because it almost always comes
across as over-writing.  Instead, you show the things that the
character pays attention to; not only does this tell the reader
what being seen, but it shows what the character thinks is important.
That way you're conveying information about the character as well
as about the setting and the events that happen there.

It's helpful to take a short story that you admire, write out a
page or so by hand, and see just how *little* pure description there
is.  I think you'll see that the description is not just talking
about objects; it shows personality by talking about how people
relate to the objects.  It also gives clues about the interpretation
of the objects.  An example that comes to mind is the first sentence
of Neuromancer...it says something like "the sky was the colour of
a TV screen tuned to a dead channel".  Right there, in a description
of the weather, Gibson has introduced electronics as the measure of
the world, and has brought in a suggestion of decay, things falling
apart.  It starts to establish the frame of mind in which you should
be reading the story.

I could wax poetic on this at length, and may do so in a day or two.
Does this little bit help?

		Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo