[ont.sf-lovers] Is this group dead or what???

mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu (The Detective) (04/16/89)

Are there no science fiction fans in Ontario, or do we all just read
rec.arts.sf-lovers instead?

Mike
Mike Harrison                   | "How are you? You have been in Afghanistan,
mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu  |  I perceive." -- Sherlock Holmes to Dr. John

ragnarok@ziebmef.uucp (Ragnarok) (04/17/89)

In article <728@orchid.waterloo.edu>
mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu (The Detective) writes:

>Are there no science fiction fans in Ontario, or do we all just read
>rec.arts.sf-lovers instead?

Not dead so much as dormant, I'd say.  This group needs its direction to be
better defined; the last time someone tried to start something in here, it
turned into a reminiscence session and a Mr. Gameways Ark history...

I asked last time, and never received an answer; is this newsgroup confining
itself to discussion of Canadian authors only?  Is it possible to discuss
anything else?  (If the answer to the latter is yes, the question on
everyone's mind will be:  What's rec.arts.sf-lovers for, then?)  If these are
not among the intentions behind the creation of this group, can someone please
clarify what it is?  Inquiring would-be posters would like to know...
--
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, | Ragnarok -- ragnarok@ziebmef.UUCP
Moves on:  not all thy Piety nor thy Wit    |----------------------------------

pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) (04/17/89)

In article <728@orchid.waterloo.edu> mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu (The Detective) writes:
>Are there no science fiction fans in Ontario, or do we all just read
>rec.arts.sf-lovers instead?
>
>Mike
>--
>Mike Harrison                   | "How are you? You have been in Afghanistan,
>mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu  |  I perceive." -- Sherlock Holmes to Dr. John
>                                |  Watson, at their first meeting.

Mike,

Apparently this group must be dead, until your newsitem, I didn't even know
I was subscribed to this newsgroup!  I must have subscribed about 3 months
ago, and forgot because there was no news.

Your news was article 728, I am going to try to read 727 and see what the
date was on that one.

Regards ...

--
Paul Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services  | You know, I really don't
University of Waterloo.                             | think you should do that!

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) (04/17/89)

In article <728@orchid.waterloo.edu> mrharrison@orchid.waterloo.edu (The Detective) writes:
>Are there no science fiction fans in Ontario, or do we all just read
>rec.arts.sf-lovers instead?

Let's face it, there won't be any significant Ontario Sci-fi until the
Wilson budget is announced.

In the meantime, let's all sit back and enjoy the flurry of responses
this sorta posting usually generates.

Actually, not to be too cynical, I'd like to know how many Ontarians out
there collect/watch quality animation (No, I'm *not* talking Jetsons (gak!)!
Akira, Rock and Rule, Night on Bald Mtn, The Man who Planted Trees.  Do
these mean anything to you?).  Just want to get a feel for the demand.

Is all.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1

ragnarok@ziebmef.uucp (Ragnarok) (04/20/89)

In article <25329@watmath.waterloo.edu>
mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) writes:

>Actually, not to be too cynical, I'd like to know how many Ontarians out
>there collect/watch quality animation (No, I'm *not* talking Jetsons (gak!)!
>Akira, Rock and Rule, Night on Bald Mtn, The Man who Planted Trees.  Do
>these mean anything to you?).  Just want to get a feel for the demand.
>
>Is all.

Yes, they mean quite a bit (especially that Akira - hurts in the pocketbook,
but I got my LD!)  But, this isn't really the place for this discussion; see
you on rec.arts.anime!...
--
"The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, | Ragnarok -- ragnarok@ziebmef.UUCP
 for they may act their dream with open     |----------------------------------

hjsdvm@ziebmef.uucp (Howard J. Scrimgeour) (04/21/89)

Well, there must be SOME sf fans in Ontario, else who is running all these
conventions?

- May 13: WilfCon V in Kitchener/Waterloo

- June 9-11: Ad Astra 9 in Toronto

pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) (04/22/89)

In article <1989Apr20.185323.29326@ziebmef.uucp> hjsdvm@ziebmef.UUCP (Howard J. Scrimgeour) writes:

>Well, there must be SOME sf fans in Ontario, else who is running all these
>conventions?
>          *******************************
>- May 13: WilfCon V in Kitchener/Waterloo *******************
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Could I get more info, PLEASE?  Or where can I find more?  kw.general?

I would perhaps like to attend this event, maybe pick up some good
reading for a good price or something like that.

Paul F
--

hjsdvm@ziebmef.uucp (Howard J. Scrimgeour) (04/22/89)

In article <5843@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) writes:
>In article <1989Apr20.185323.29326@ziebmef.uucp> hjsdvm@ziebmef.UUCP (Howard J. Scrimgeour) writes:
>>
>>Well, there must be SOME sf fans in Ontario, else who is running all these
>>conventions?
>>          *******************************
>>- May 13: WilfCon V in Kitchener/Waterloo *******************
>>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Could I get more info, PLEASE?  Or where can I find more?  kw.general?
>
>I would perhaps like to attend this event, maybe pick up some good
>reading for a good price or something like that.
>
>Paul F
>--
>Paul Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services  | You know, I really don't
>University of Waterloo.                             | think you should do that!
>pfratar@watdcsu.UWaterloo.ca                        | [Demonic laughter in the
>pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu                        | Backgound]: HA HA HA!

OK, here's what I've got: "May 13 (new date): WilfCon V at Wilfrid Laurier
University, Kitchener, ON. Guests include Terence Green and Harry Kremer.
Memberships are $3.50 preregister, $5.50 at the door. For more info,
write to WilfCon V, c/o 6-69 Donald St., Kitchener, ON N2B 3G6"

Wilfcon is only a one-day con. Ad Astra 9, mentioned in my previous
message, runs for the full weekend.

craven@helios.toronto.edu (Jim Craven) (04/24/89)

Well, has anybody read Svaha?

I found the similarities of the TOPQ corridor to the Jane and Finch
area of Toronto striking :-)

Jim
--

FTPD(8C):                  Jim Craven <craven@helios.physics.utoronto.ca>
The possible security holes have been extensively scrutinized, but are

vistlik@watcsc.uucp (Vistlik) (04/25/89)

In article <1989Apr20.185323.29326@ziebmef.uucp> hjsdvm@ziebmef.UUCP (Howard J. Scrimgeour) writes:

>Well, there must be SOME sf fans in Ontario, else who is running all these
>conventions?
>
>- May 13: WilfCon V in Kitchener/Waterloo
>
>- June 9-11: Ad Astra 9 in Toronto

Don't forget Toronto Trek III in August.

--
Vistlik the Romulan (Robyn Stewart)       In: Third Year Honours Chemistry
Native Planet: ch'Rihan                   Email: vistlik@watcsc.waterloo.edu

andy@mks.UUCP (Andy Toy) (04/27/89)

In article <1989Apr25.113655.16952@watcsc.uucp> vistlik@watcsc.UUCP (Vistlik) writes:
>Don't forget Toronto Trek III in August.

More info please.  Is this a real Star Trek convention?  I haven't been
to one in Toronto since the one in '76.  Has there been any since?
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,    Internet: andy%mks@watmath.UWaterloo.ca
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,            UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy