[net.sf-lovers] Rereading a book immediately

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/04/85)

Expires:

Quoted from <184@lzwi.UUCP> ["Re: The concept of spoilers (really, literary suspense)"], by psc@lzwi.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm)...
+---------------
| [ FlameThrower setTemp: comfyWarm. ]
|
| I'm trying to remember the last time I finished a book (for the first time)
| and immediately turned back to page one and re-read it.  DAMIANO?  There are
| darned few books that can get me to do that; the ones that can are terrific.
|
| You could argue that you haven't really read a book until you've read it
| at least twice.*  In fact, I suspect some of you will.
+---------------

I can tell I'm going to be in trouble with this crowd; I did exactly that with
NUMBER OF THE BEAST............ . ..  . . .
					    .. .
					    	. .  (please, no...)
					    	   ..
					    	     .
					    	      . (noOOOoooo. . . .)
					    	       .
					    	       .
					    	       .
					    	       _

--bsa
--
Brandon Allbery, Unix Consultant -- 6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, OH 44131
decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa; ncoast!bsa@case.csnet; +1 216 524 1416; 74106,1032

JAFFE@RUTGERS.ARPA (07/08/85)

From: ncoast!bsa (Brandon Allbery)

Expires:

mjv@ihu1e.UUCP (Vlach) (07/16/85)

> | I'm trying to remember the last time I finished a book (for the first time)
> | and immediately turned back to page one and re-read it.  DAMIANO?  There are
> | darned few books that can get me to do that; the ones that can are terrific.

> I can tell I'm going to be in trouble with this crowd; I did exactly that with
> NUMBER OF THE BEAST............ . ..  . . .
> 					    .. .
> 					    	. .  (please, no...)
> 					    	   ..
> 					    	     .
> 					    	      . (noOOOoooo. . . .)
> 					    	       .
> 					    	       .
I have read several Heinlein books 2 or 3 times, but # of the Beast?!?
Is this guy kidding?  Heinlein was my favorite SF author for a couple years
(before I found Niven!)  Now he makes me ill with his ongoing fascination
with young-beautiful-and-brilliant-woman-with-large-breasts who love to
have sex and get pregnant courtesy of some old man.  (Senile fantasies?)

However, I did manage to finish the book, unlike my better half who threw
the book against the wall around page 66.  He likes sexy women as much as
anyone, but Heinlein makes it SO dumb and unrealistic.  And then JOB was so
similar...  I didn't finish FRIDAY, I mean do we really need to rape women
in SF books?  How about some aliens, I like those better...