Date: Sun 1 Dec 85 16:00:32-PST
From: Peter G. Neumann <Neumann@SRI-CSL.ARPA>
Subject: Some Thoughts on Unpredicted Long-Term Risks
To: RISKS@SRI-CSL.ARPA

This is a short note on the subject of how little we understand or are
willing to admit about long-term effects (whether eventually very obvious
effects or sometimes long-hidden side-effects) -- and of how, even if a risk
is known, it may be suppressed.

The front page of today's NY Times (Sunday 1 Dec 85) has two articles on
Bhopal, one year after.  Stuart Diamond's article begins, "Medical studies
conducted in the year since the chemical leak ... indicate that the chemical
responsible for the accident causes serious long-term health problems that
were unknown before the disaster."  Furthermore, the Bhopal problems appear
to have been due not just to the pesticide ingredient methyl isocynate, but
to an unforeseen chemical reaction that transformed some of it to hydrogen
cyanide.  (An antidote to the latter chemical was therefore not used until
months afterwards.)

In various past issues of the RISKS Forum we have noted risks such as
side-effects of pacemaker interference; auto microprocessor bugs; command
and control computer problems; and so on -- perhaps ad nauseum to some of
you -- and the dangers of making a finite set of assumptions that underly
proper system behavior.  I have also alluded occasionally to lessons that we
might learn from environmental risks such as toxic substances in our food,
drink, and environments; some of those risks were known in advance but
ignored -- e.g., for commercial reasons; others came as "surprises"
(thalidomide, for example), but probably represented a lack of care and
long-term testing.  In some cases the risks were thought of, but considered
minimal.  In other cases, the risks were simply never considered.

At the beginning of the holiday season, this note merely adds a plaintive
cry for greater humility.  Science (especially computer science) does not
have ALL the answers.  Furthermore, the absence of any one answer (and
indeed ignorance of a question that should have been asked) can be damaging.
But, as we see from the nature of the problems to date, some of us too often
keep our heads in the sand -- even after being once (or multiply) burned.
Eternal vigilance is required of all of us.  Bureaucrats and technocrats who
say "don't worry, nothing can go wrong" must be exposed.  But technocrats
who say "we can't do it at all" need to be very careful in their statements
-- locally anything is possible.  However, we must remember that it is in
the global system integration and in operation under conditions of stress
that things tend to break down -- and also where rational arguments tend to
break down.

I am now finally back in California after 7 weeks on the road.  It is good
to be back (I think), but it is time to get RISKS rolling again.  I hope
that this forum is helping to increase our awareness of the problems and of
what we can (and cannot) do to improve our computer systems and their use.
But the useful perpetuation of RISKS -- and the application of your
knowledge in real systems -- depends on you.

PGN

------------------------------

Date: Fri 29 Nov 85 00:43:47-EST
From: Peter G. Trei <OC.TREI@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Computer snafu halts treasury
To: risks@SRI-CSL.ARPA

       From the Wall Street Journal,  Monday 25 November 1985
                     [quoted without permission]

       A Computer Snafu Snarls the Handling of Treasury Issues
               by Phillip L. Zweig and Allanna Sullivan
              Staff reporters of the Wall Street Journal

   NEW YORK- A computer malfunction at Bank of New York brought the
Treasury bond market's deliveries and payments systems to a near-
standstill for almost 28 hours Thursday and Friday.
   Although bond prices weren't affected, metal traders bid up the
price of platinum futures Friday in the belief that a financial crisis
had struck the Treasury bond market. However, Bank of New York's
problems appeared to be more electronic than financial.
   The foul-up temporarily prevented the bank, the nation's largest
clearer of government securities, from delivering securities to buyers
and making payments to sellers - a service it performs for scores of
securities dealers and other banks.
   The malfunction was cleared up at 12:30 p.m. EST Friday, and an
hour later the bank resumed delivery of securities.
   But Thursday the bank, a unit of Bank of New York Co., had to
borrow a record $20 billion from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York
so it could pay for securities received. The borrowing is said to be
the largest discount window borrowing ever from the Federal Reserve
System. Bank of New York repaid the loan Friday, Martha Dinnerstein, a
senior vice president, said.
   Although Bank of New York incurred an estimated $4 million interest
expense on the borrowing, the bank said any impact on its net income
"will not be material." For the first nine months this year, earnings
totaled $96.7 million. Bank of New York stock closed Friday at
$45.125, off 25 cents from the Thursday, as 16,500 shares changed
hands in composite trading on the New York Stock Exchange.
   Bank of New York said that it had paid for the cost of carrying the
securities so its customers wouldn't lose any interest.
   Bank of New York's inability to accept payments temporarily left
other banks with $20 billion on their hands. This diminished the need
of many banks to borrow from others in the federal funds market. Banks
use the market for federal funds, which are reserves that banks lend
each other, for short-term funding of certain operations. The cash
glut caused the federal funds rate to plummet to 5.5% from 8.375%
early Thursday.
   The electronic snafu is by far the largest of computer problems
that periodically have bedeviled the capital markets.
   Almost all goverment securities transactions are settled
electronically through the New York Federal Reserve Bank. In this
system, computers of clearing banks are linked to one another through
a central computer, to enable banks to settle purchases and sales of
securities by customers.
   According to Wall Street sources, the malfunction occurred at 10
a.m.  Thursday as Bank of New York was preparing to change software in
a computer system and begin the days operations. Until Friday
afternoon, Bank of New York received billions of dollars in securities
that it couldn't deliver to buyers. The Fed settlement system, which
officially closes at 2:30 p.m., remained open until 1:30 a.m. Friday
in the expectation that technicians would be able to solve the
problem.
   Rumors about bank problems often send commodity traders scurrying
to buy precious metals. In the platinum pit at the New York Mercantile
Exchange, the price for January delivery surged $12.40 an ounce to
$351.20 Friday on volume of 11,929 contracts, a 29-year record.
   Reports that the Fed was investigating transfer problems at Bank of
New York prompted the platinum buying.

                          [end of quotation]

   I talked to a friend of mine who was peripherally involved in the
recovery from this 'snafu', and it seems that the primary error
occured in a messaging system which buffered messages going in and out
of the bank.  The actual error was an overflow in a counter which was
only 16 bits wide, instead of the usual 32. This caused a message
database to become corrupted.  The programmers and operators, working
under tremendous pressure to solve the problem quickly, accidently
copied the corrupt copy of the database over the backup, instead of
the other way around.

     One thing I have often noticed is that the 'normal run' code of
software packages tends to get much more through testing then the
code for error recovery; not only is it more difficult to test, but
the general feeling of 'this code will never execute' demotivates
programmers. In this case, it sounds like the people at BONY never
held a 'fire drill' to figure out how to handle a corrupt primary
database. Does anyone else have examples where attempts at error
recovery magnified problems?
							Peter Trei
							oc.trei@cu20b

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 85 14:27:34 pst
From: decwrl!Glacier!oliveb!felix!birtch!ken@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Ken Brown x254)
To: Risks@SRI-CSL
Subject: "Hacker" Game

     --------------------
     This is in response to Ted Shapin's article regarding the
     'irresponsible' game, HACKER (RISKS-1.23).
     --------------------

The game HACKER, is just a game.  It has nothing to do with the
trying to make people (read kids) try to break into a computer
system.  I know.  I helped write the IBM PC version of the game.
The name of the game, HACKER, just deals with the initial 'screen'
of the game, where one simulates trying to logon to a system.  It
is not very realistic (MY_VIEW) of an actual logon sequence.
The rest of the game has NOTHING to do with 'hacking', as I view
the term hacking.

However, I do agree with you about the packaging blurbs, regarding
the "not caring," but I am not the one who wrote that blurb.  The
game is strictly for entertainment purposes.  It will not teach
people how to break in to remote (or local) systems.  Just about
anything you type will get you past the "security system."

Ken Brown	[... !trwrb!scgvaxd!felix!birtch!ken]

These ramblings are my own, and probably do not reflect those of my
employer or fellow employees.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Nov 85 11:28:22 EST
From: "Keith F. Lynch" <KFL@MIT-MC.ARPA>
To: BEC.SHAPIN@USC-ECL.ARPA
Cc: risks@SRI-CSL.ARPA [...]

    Date: Mon 18 Nov 85 11:54:52-PST
    From: Ted Shapin <BEC.SHAPIN@USC-ECL.ARPA>

    Activision
    HACKER
    Makes you feel like you've unlocked someone else's computer system!

    This "product" is socially irresponsible!  It leads young people
    to think breaking into unknown systems is OK. The "world" they
    discover may be the world of the penal system!

  I don't see what's wrong with this.  This is better than cracking
for real, and I doubt that anyone will learn any useful cracking
techniques from this game.
  Do you also think that toy guns should be banned?  What about
Adventure, Zork, and Dungeons and Dragons, which teach people to kill
and to steal?
  I think fantasy role playing games are of great benefit.  They give
people of all ages a chance to 'get it out of their system' in a
harmless way.
								...Keith

------------------------------

Date: Sat 23 Nov 85 13:28:39-CST
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: "Hacker" Game: Is game simulating security of *REAL* machines?
To: BEC.SHAPIN@USC-ECL.ARPA
cc: risks@SRI-CSL.ARPA [...]

I wouldn't be surprised if this game actually simulates the security features
(or lack thereof) of some real-life systems ...

... in which case, it's *REALLY* time to be alarmed.  On the other hand, this
just might cause a lot of sites to decide to pay attention to improving
their security, or cause efforts which advance the state of the art of
security, which wouldn't be that bad, when you think about it.

Has someone with access to the game and knowledge of the security features
of different minis/mainframes checked this out yet?

End of RISKS-FORUM Digest
-------