Date:  2 Dec 1985 0926-PST (Monday)
From: Matt Bishop <mab@riacs.ARPA>
To: RISKS@SRI-CSL.ARPA
Subject: Humility

   In Risks 1.25, you wrote a very good article pleading for greater
humility.  I'd like to add a little to that. Very often a solution is
proposed which alleviates the symptom, but aggravates the cause, of the
problem.  (Draw your own examples, folks -- the best ones are political, and
I'm not touching THOSE with a ten-foot pole!) Unfortunately, those are often
the most appealing because they let us forget, for a time, that the problem
exists.  When it returns, the symptoms are different but the root cause is
still there -- and more rotten than ever.

   As another thought, I've found that in order to ask the question that
leads to a solution for a problem you have to know most of the answer
already -- it's merely a matter of synthesizing the various parts into a
whole.  (As an example, Riemannian geometry existed before Einstein put it
to use; it was a mathematical toy, done to prove the Fifth Postulate was
just that, a postulate.)  But for all non-technical problems, science alone
cannot provide the answers -- it can provide techniques for solving the
technical components, but no more.  And when people forget this, disaster
follows, because science is used to treat the result, rather than the cause.
(Incidentally, "science" is not the culprit.  The same thing happens in
spheres where science takes a back seat to ethics and morality -- and what I
said still applies.  No one discipline can provide a complete answer to any
non-technical problem.  Unfortunately, an incomplete, but complete-looking,
answer can usually be obtained from any discipline -- and this is what we
must avoid doing!)

Matt

------------------------------

From: horning@decwrl.DEC.COM (Jim Horning)
Date:  2 Dec 1985 1354-PST (Monday)
To: RISKS@SRI-CSL.ARPA
Subject: Reliable Computer Systems

Although reliability is only part of risk assessment, it is an important
one. I would like to bring to the attention of this forum a book to which I
made a modest contribution.

``Reliable Computer Systems: Collected Papers of the Newcastle
Reliability Project,'' edited by Santosh K. Shrivastava,
Springer-Verlag, 1985, xii + 580 pages, ISBN 0-387-15256-3 (New York)
and 3-540-15256-3 (Berlin).

This volume brings together in one place more than 30 papers by more than 20
authors reporting more than a decade of research on reliability. It contains
papers that survey the issues, define terminology, propose partial
solutions, and assess the state of the art.

Jim H.

                -------------------------

From the introduction by Brian Randell:

"The origins of the project can be readily traced back ... to my
participation in the 1968 NATO Conference on Software Engineering.  Quite a
number of the attendees have since remarked on the great influence this
conference had on their subsequent work and thinking.  This was certainly
true in my case. ... One major theme of the conference was the great
disparity between the level of reliance that organizations were willing to
place on complex real time systems and the very modest levels of reliability
that were often being achieved-- for example, it was also at about this time
that there was considerable public debate over the proposed Anti-Ballistic
Missile System, which we understood was to involve relying completely on a
massively complicated computer system to position and detonate a nuclear
device in the upper atmosphere in the path of each incoming missile!

"At the NATO Conference there was thus much discussion about improved
methods of software design, though there was a mainly implicit assumption
that high reliability was best achieved by making a system fault-free,
rather than fault-tolerant. Another much-debated topic concerned the
practicality of attempting to provide rigorous correctness proofs for
software systems of significant size and complexity. Such discussions, I am
sure, played a large part in ensuring that ... I was seeking to do something
constructive about the problems of achieving high reliability from complex
computing systems, and yet, was feeling rather pessimistic about the
practicality of proving the correctness of other than relatively small and
simple programs. ...

"From the start, our aim was to study the general problems of achieving high
reliability from complex computing systems, rather than concentrate on
problems specific to a particular application area or make of computer.
Quoting from the original project proposal: `The intent is to investigate
problems concerned with the provision of reliable service by a computing
system, notwithstanding the presence of software and hardware errors. The
approach will be based on the development of computer architecture and
programming techniques which facilitate the structuring of complex computing
systems so that the existence of errors can be detected and the extent of
their ramifications be determined automatically, and so that uninterrupted
service (albeit probably of degraded quality until the faulty hardware or
software is repaired) can be provided. ... It is clear that for the
foreseeable future, the designers of large-scale computing systems will not
be able to achieve adequate system reliability by depending entirely on the
reliability of the hardware and software components which make up their
system.' ...

"We started by studying the problems of difficult faults in (relatively)
simple systems and then gradually increased the difficulty of the systems
that we were prepared to consider."

------------------------------

Date: Wed 4 Dec 85 17:11:18-PST
From: Peter G. Neumann <Neumann@SRI-CSL.ARPA>
Subject: Electromagnetic Interference
To: RISKS@SRI-CSL.ARPA

On page 30 of the Dec 85 issue of the IEEE Spectrum is an article entitled
"Taming EMI in microprocessor systems".  It begins as follows.

  It was late one summer afternoon in 1983, near the end of the day shift at a
  steel plant in the eastern United States.  An operator using a new radio
  link was guiding the last ladle of molten steel as it moved along an
  overhead track from the blast furnace to the ingot molds.  Soon the
  end-of-shift horn would sound.  Without warning, the ladle tipped
  prematurely as it neared the molds, pouring hot steel on the floor and on
  some of the workers.  One worker was killed, and four were seriously injured
  in this accident.  After an investigation, electromagnetic interference
  (EMI) was blamed for the tipping of the ladle.

Reflections from a scaffolding reinforced the field produced by the
transmitter's antenna, producing a signal that was received by a drop cord
acting as an antenna, interpreted by the cord's switch circuitry, which
triggering the switch circuit to pour the molten steel.  This sounds a
little like Rube Goldberg, but is another example of the EMI problems
discussed in RISKS-1.19 and revisited in .23 and .24.

PGN

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Dec 85 18:58:11 cst
From: ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!benn@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Thomas Cox)
To: ihnp4!risks
Subject: Hackers

	Over the course of the year I have been reading thousands of articles
from all print sources that relate to computers.  Hundreds have been on crime
and security.  Dealing with these articles is part of a job I hold.
	The "cracking" done by so-called hackers, i.e. young computer
hobbyists, falls into a very few categories.

1. a non-password-secured system is "broken into".
2. a password is stolen.
3. a credit card number is transmitted VIA COMPUTER for illegal use.
4. a particular string of crackings was perpetrated by some young people who
     systematically searched for computer mainframes of a certain make and
     model.  They then used the factory-installed password "system" (or some
     such) that was not removed by the end-user support staff.
5. bypassing telephone company billing circuits to make "free" calls.

Please notice that

1. no password-protected system is EVER likely to be broken into by so-called
     hackers.  They can sit and guess, just like they can try and guess the
     combination to my bike lock.  I'm not worried about it.
2. most so-called computer crime has been nothing other than the
     TRANSMISSION of illegally-attained credit card numbers, Sprint account
     numbers, and the like.

The claims regarding "encouraging kids to hack" is simply garbage.
Encourage them all you want.  They will eventually give up, because it isn't
going to work.  That is what the behavioral scientists call "extinction" of
a behavior:  it never works, and eventually isn't repeated any more.  Like
trying to jump so you can fly.

Sincerely,
  Thomas Cox   ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!benn

     [This is likely to generate various responses -- from hackers whose
      good name is being besmirched <forget it -- we've already been through
      that>, from serious crackers and secure operating systems folks who
      know that most operating systems are so vulnerable that they can be
      cracked in many ways other than those mentioned above, and more.
      But you should all beware of the head-in-the-sand view that everything
      is just fine <"There are no real risks!">, which you might continue
      to hold until you are ostrichized for shortsightedness following a
      technologically based breakin.  PGN]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 2 Dec 85 10:34:02-PST
From: Ted Shapin <BEC.SHAPIN@USC-ECL.ARPA>
Subject: "The Hacker Game": Is it simulating security of *REAL* machines?
To: CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU
cc: risks@SRI-CSL.ARPA, human-nets@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
Phone: (714)961-3393; Mail:Beckman Instruments, Inc.

No, I heard the game is a maze type game, not a simulation of security on
any real system.  The advertisement is just hype to sell the game.  Ted.

------------------------------

Date: Tue 3 Dec 85 14:07:40-PST
From: Ted Shapin <BEC.SHAPIN@USC-ECL.ARPA>
Subject: Unexpected load on telephone trunks
To: risks@SRI-CSL.ARPA, telecom@MIT-XX.ARPA
Phone: (714)961-3393; Mail:Beckman Instruments, Inc.

    In the previous posting, which I forgot to include here, a complaint
was raised about BYTEnet Listings, BYTE magazine's BBS system, indicating
that the person was unable to get through.  Only too true! BYTEnet Listings
was responsible for shutting down the long-distance access to the ENTIRE
state of New Hampshire some months ago, due to the enormous number of calls
they received.
    To get the Public Domain HOPE or PROLOG, you should first try your local
BBS systems, or the BBS run by Computer Languages magazine...

           Mike Farren
           uucp: {dual, hplabs}!well!farren
           Fido: Sci-Fido, Fidonode 125/84, (415)655-0667
           USnail: 390 Alcatraz Ave., Oakland, CA 94618

End of RISKS-FORUM Digest
-------