From: Alan Greig <CCD-ARG%dct@ucl-cs.arpa>

> From: kcl-cs!thornton@topaz.arpa (ZNAC468)
> Subject: Re: How to fix bad sci-fi(and boring sci-fi?).Blakes Seven.

>        And now for something completely different..BLAKE'S SEVEN.
> I have been told that this hasn't been shown in the U.S. yet but the
> networks should come to their senses soon. It was great, some
> episodes were straight S.T. rip offs but otherwise the show was
> superb. The plots were ingenious with lots of twists but you would
> have to see it to understand. The last series (as usual) wasn't as
> good.
>        I think this deserves some discussion ,at least over here.

Judging by the lack of response to this posting, Blake's Seven
obviously hasn't been shown in the U.S. God knows why as it was
by far the best SF series the BBC ever made (That'll annoy the
Dr Who fans).

**		      Micro Spoiler                               **

To take a bunch of criminals and turn them into galactic heroes
took some doing but Terry Nation managed it. Even if the stories
had been absolute garbage (which they weren't) the strength of
character of Villa "Show me a lock and I'll break it", Avon "Show
me a computer operating system and I'll break it", Blake "Show me
the empire and I'll break it" and Servalan "Show me Avon/Blake and
I'll break them" carried every show.

**			Spoiler                                   **

The command conflict between Avon and Blake gradually built up during
the first series, with idealistic Blake all set to right all the wrongs
of the Universe but Avon merely wanting to do so if he could settle old
scores or become rich in the process. Timid Villa was always on hand
to inject a little humour to try and cool things down or, more likely,
would just hide !

The writing out of Blake made it easier for Avon to assume control
and although the second series managed to trundle on quite nicely
the third was becoming increasingly a little kids programme with
really only the interplay between Avon and Villa holding the whole
thing together. That was until...

**                    Mega Spoiler                               **

People often complain that SF tv never ever ends and that the heroes
never die. Well here's one show that they can't complain about.

The carnage of the last episode in which the cast (including the
recently rediscovered Blake) are gunned down one by one with all
the blood and guts to go with it brought the most letters that
the BBC magazine (rather archaically called 'The Radio Times')
had ever received on any one programme. The end sees only Avon
still standing. His paranoia about the Universe having built up
to such a level throughout the last series that it actually
culminates in him killing Blake under the belief that Blake has
betrayed them.

Avon stands astride his colleagues bodies, surrounded by armed
enemy guards, raises his gun and laughs. The screen fades and
the sound of gunfire from all corners his heard.

The END

I remember walking round like a goldfish and meeting other
Blake fans acting likewise:
  "The BBC can't do that"
  "But they did"

And so it ended for us in the UK but back a few timezones you
have it all to look forward to.

			Alan Greig
			Computer Centre
			Dundee College Of Technology
			Dundee
			Scotland
-------

WADA@SANDIA-CAD.ARPA (07/15/85)

From: Michi Wada <WADA@SANDIA-CAD.ARPA>

  There are fans of Blake's Seven in the U.S. and they have just recently held
Scorpio 3, a Blake's Seven convention in Chicago during the first weekend
in July.  Guests were Gareth Thomas (Blake), Sally Knyvette (Jenna),
Brian Croucher (second season Travis) and Sheelagh Wells (makeup artist,
Mrs. Gareth Thomas).

  Last year in Chicago, Scorpio 2 had as guests Paul Darrow (Avon), Michael
Keating (Villa), Brian Croucher (second season Travis) and Terry Nation
(Creator of Blake's Seven).

  There will be a Scorpio 4 sometime in August of 1986 in Chicago.  The above
named people have promised to come to Scorpio 4, barring any professional
committments.  Scorpio is the name of both the Blake's Seven club and
convention.  For further information write to

	Scorpio
        4064 Appleby Lane
        Richton Park, Ill. 60471

  Blake's Seven will be seen in the U.S. starting this fall.  Some of the
stations who will be showing them are

        Santa Fe, N.M.    ch. 2    local commercial station
        New Hampshire     ch. ?    PBS station
        San Jose, Calif.  ch. ?    PBS station
        Bellingham, Wash. ch. 12   ?

  There are other stations who will be showing them, but my friend couldn't
recall the rest of the list.  It may be showing in Philadelphia, but it hasn't
been confirmed yet.  Blake's Seven was about 56 minutes long in England.  The
PBS stations will run them uncut, but the others will probably be cut down to
fit in all those commercials.

Michi Wada
Sandia National Laboratories
Albuquerque, N.M.
-------

kwc@cvl.UUCP (Kenneth W. Crist Jr.) (07/17/85)

> From: Michi Wada <WADA@SANDIA-CAD.ARPA>
>
>   Blake's Seven will be seen in the U.S. starting this fall.  Some of the
> stations who will be showing them are
>
>         Santa Fe, N.M.    ch. 2    local commercial station
>         New Hampshire     ch. ?    PBS station
>         San Jose, Calif.  ch. ?    PBS station
>         Bellingham, Wash. ch. 12   ?
>
>   There are other stations who will be showing them, but my friend couldn't
> recall the rest of the list.  It may be showing in Philadelphia, but it hasn'
>
> Michi Wada
> Sandia National Laboratories
> Albuquerque, N.M.
> -------

    Will your friend be able to get a copy of the list and have you post it
on the net? I think that a lot of people would like to know if BLAKE'S SEVEN
will be shown in their area. Please try.

						Kenneth Crist
						kwc@cvl
						Computer Vision Lab
						University of Maryland