[net.sf-lovers] Comments on Colin Wilson

JAROCHA-ERNST@RU-BLUE.ARPA (07/10/85)

From: Chris Jarocha-Ernst <JAROCHA-ERNST@RU-BLUE.ARPA>

I suppose I'm one of the "avid fans" of Colin Wilson's works that Mark
Leeper mentioned.  While I like his work, I don't think he's the greatest
thing since indoor plumbing or whatever.  He has his flaws: he's
opinionated, sexist, elitist (or, at least, he comes across that way in
his books).  However, he's also very intelligent.  "Philosopher" is as
good a term as any.

So, a few corrections from someone who (thinks he) knows better:

Wilson and August Derleth weren't friends until AFTER Wilson wrote THE MIND
PARASITES.  Mark was right about the "Outsider"/OUTSIDER connection.
Wilson wrote a book (THE STRENGTH TO DREAM: LITERATURE AND THE IMAGINATION),
in one chapter of which he took Lovecraft to task for HPL's own literary
failings.  Derleth read this and then asked Wilson if he thought he could do a
better job with the Cthulhu Mythos.  Wilson responded with THE MIND PARASITES,
which Derleth's Arkham House published.

Wilson's literary and philosophical concerns have been, ever since THE
OUTSIDER, his 1st book, was published in 1955, those aspects of human
existence that set apart some people from the mainstream of human society.
There's a theme that should be familiar to SF-LOVERS everywhere.  Wilson
concentrates on topics that the mass of society finds "lurid" or
"sensational", most notably, sex, violence, and magic.  His non-fiction
and fiction alike have been attempts to explain why those topics appeal
to some and not to others.  His THE OCCULT is generally considered to be an
important work about the nature of magic and magicians (i.e., sorcerers).
He considers himself "a novelist of ideas".

Of the three works Mark mentioned, I would agree that THE SPACE VAMPIRES
is the weakest.  If the title (and that of MP) is "lurid", well, that's
part of what he's talking about, isn't it?  I was very surprised to learn
someone had tried to turn this into a film.  As Mark said, the book's
strong point is its ideas, not its plot.

BTW, when was Kirlian photography discredited?  On what grounds?

Mark, I'd be interested to know what 48 books came ahead of MIND PARASITES
in your local SF group's discussion, and why.  I consider the book to be one
of the most important (and enjoyable) I've ever read; I usually reread it
every few years -- doesn't take more than an evening or two of concentrated
reading.  I originally picked it up because of my interest in Lovecraft.
While he plays fast-and-loose with the Cthulhu Mythos, he certainly uses
it in interesting ways.  And, Mark, if you like stories where magic is
revealed to be unexplained science, you should look up "The Return of the
Lloigor" in TALES OF THE CTHULHU MYTHOS.  Again, it plays fast-and-loose,
but Derleth thought it good enough to include in that collection (even if
it does "reinterpret" one of his own Mythos additions, Lloigor), and it
is in some sense a forerunner of MIND PARASITES.  (While I also enjoyed
PHILOSOPHER'S STONE, it can't be considered a true Mythos story -- it plays
TOO fast-and-loose.)

I cannot recommend Wilson to many (those "specialized tastes", I guess).
Certainly, those readers who prefer outright escapism or books sans self-
critical protagonists won't like him.  But if you like sex, violence,
magic, AND intelligent philosophy, give him a try.

Chris
-------

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (07/17/85)

 >From: Chris Jarocha-Ernst <JAROCHA-ERNST@RU-BLUE.ARPA>
 >
 >I suppose I'm one of the "avid fans" of Colin Wilson's works
 >that Mark Leeper mentioned.  While I like his work, I don't
 >think he's the greatest  thing since indoor plumbing or
 >whatever.  He has his flaws: he's  opinionated, sexist,
 >elitist (or, at least, he comes across that way in his
 >books).

That covers my opinion.

 >So, a few corrections from someone who (thinks he) knows
 >better:
 >
 >Wilson and August Derleth weren't friends until AFTER Wilson
 >wrote THE MIND PARASITES.  Mark was right about the
 >"Outsider"/OUTSIDER connection.  Wilson wrote a book (THE
 >STRENGTH TO DREAM: LITERATURE AND THE IMAGINATION), in one
 >chapter of which he took Lovecraft to task for HPL's own
 >literary failings.  Derleth read this and then asked Wilson
 >if he thought he could do a  better job with the Cthulhu
 >Mythos.  Wilson responded with THE MIND PARASITES, which
 >Derleth's Arkham House published.

That is my bad memory again.  You are right.  I went back to the intro
to MIND PARASITES and discovered I had combined the host and the
challenger into a single person.  Sorry.

 >BTW, when was Kirlian photography discredited?  On what
 >grounds?

Don't quote me.  My memory got me into trouble once already this
article, but I think that I heard the effect had something to do with
moisture or water vapor.  In any case, the effects should be easily
reproducible and hence could studied in the laboratory and I think we
would have heard if there really was anything to this sort of spirit
photography.

 >Mark, I'd be interested to know what 48 books came ahead of
 >MIND PARASITES in your local SF group's discussion, and why.

Well, the list is, I think, lost at this point, but it was many from
the list of most popular that showed up recently on the net.

 >I consider the book to be one  of the most important

Interesting word.  Why "important?"

 >(and enjoyable) I've ever read;

I certainly agree with enjoyable.  Though few enough seem to agree with
me.

 >I cannot recommend Wilson to many (those "specialized
 >tastes", I guess).  Certainly, those readers who prefer
 >outright escapism or books sans self- critical protagonists
 >won't like him.  But if you like sex, violence, magic, AND
 >intelligent philosophy, give him a try.

Well said.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (07/18/85)

From: boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (JERRY BOYAJIAN)

> From: Chris Jarocha-Ernst <JAROCHA-ERNST@RU-BLUE.ARPA>

> Of the three works Mark mentioned, I would agree that THE SPACE VAMPIRES
> is the weakest.

Then I have some good reading ahead of me. I first read THE SPACE VAMPIRES
when it first came out in hardcover in 1976, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.
I just re-read it after seeing LIFEFORCE and *still* enjoyed it. I've had
his other two novels for years, but never got around to reading them. I'll
try and work them into my reading schedule sometime soon.

> While he plays fast-and-loose with the Cthulhu Mythos, he certainly uses
> it in interesting ways.  And, Mark, if you like stories where magic is
> revealed to be unexplained science, you should look up "The Return of the
> Lloigor" in TALES OF THE CTHULHU MYTHOS.  Again, it plays fast-and-loose,
> but Derleth thought it good enough to include in that collection (even if
> it does "reinterpret" one of his own Mythos additions, Lloigor), and it
> is in some sense a forerunner of MIND PARASITES.

Actually, THE SPACE VAMPIRES is also a "fast-and-loose" Mythos story. The
vampires called themselves the Ubbo-Sathla, which was a contribution to
the Mythos by Clark Ashton Smith. Wilson's usage wasn't quite what Smith
had in mind, but...

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

<"Bibliography is my business">