[net.sf-lovers] Mike McQuay

ops@ncsc (07/16/85)

From: ------ Operator <ops@ncsc>

   I would like to recommend the following books by Mike Mcquay:

         _Lifekeeper_                _Jitterbug_
         _Pure_Blood_                _Escape_From_New_York_

   All of these books take place After The Fall Of Civilization
As We Know It.  While I am not prepared to review or critique these
books at this time, I can recommend them as entertainment on a
rainy Sunday afternoon.

   The _Lifekeeper_ is a computer which governs Earth's
militaristic societies, whose precept is that war is the the
greatest human endeavour.

   In _Jitterbug_ the Arabs have taken over and hold the world
hostage through economic control and pestilence.

   _Pure_Blood_ has acid rain, genetically engineered lifeforms,
brother vs brother in the struggle for civilization, and a
sequel in the works.

   _Escape_From_New_York was made into a movie starring a
scroungy Kurt Russell which managed to retain some of the book's
atmosphere.  The President's plane has been shot down by
terrorists over the penal colony of New York City and only
Russell's character, a tough-guy loner on the wrong side of the
law, can get him out.  (Aside: I always liked this character and
hope to hear more about him.)

   The urban atmosphere in _Jitterbug_ and _Escape_From_New_York
is gritty and dismal and all of the books are violent and bleak.
Not much hope for the future here.  But I read these like my
friend the english teacher reads gothic romances, secretly.

   Jessie@ncsc

-------

boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (07/18/85)

From: boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (JERRY BOYAJIAN)

> From: ------ Operator <ops@ncsc>	(Jessie@ncsc)

>    _Escape_From_New_York was made into a movie starring a
> scroungy Kurt Russell which managed to retain some of the book's
> atmosphere.

Sorry, but you've got it backwards. McQuay's book is a
novelization of the film, not 'tother way around.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

<"Bibliography is my business">