[mod.ai] Seminar - The Purposes of Vision

gideon%edai.edinburgh.ac.uk@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Gideon Sahar) (02/27/86)

From: Gideon Sahar <gideon%edai.edinburgh.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk>

EDINBURGH AI SEMINARS

Date:    Wednesday, 5th March l986
Time:    2.00 p.m.
Place:   Department of Artificial Intelligence, Seminar Room, Forrest
         Hill, Edinburgh.

Professor Aaron Sloman, School of Social Sciences, University of Sussex
will give a seminar entitled - "The Purposes of Vision and the
Architecture of a Mind".

It is often taken for granted that the purpose of vision is to take in one or
two static or changing 2-D arrays of information about the current optic field
and produce descriptions of the 3-D objects from which the light has been
reflected. This treats the visual system as having a narrowly defined set of
inputs and outputs and encourages a conception of the visual system as a
separable module in an intelligent mechanism, with relatively few channels of
communication with other modules.

The talk will reflect on the variety of visual inputs and outputs, the
possibility of integration with other senses at different levels, and how
these relate to the different purposes to which vision can be put. One
implication seems to be that the visual system may have an architecture and
relationship to other mental processes, very different from what is normally
assumed. Might we sometimes see with our ears and hear with our eyes?