[net.sf-lovers] Craig Shaw Gardner

STEINER@RUTGERS.ARPA (06/04/85)

From: Dave <Steiner@RUTGERS.ARPA>

Does anyone know anything about a Craig Shaw Gardner?  I read a story
of his in Flashing Swords #5. It was about a sorcerer named
"Ebenezum".  I found it a rather amusing story and have been looking
for other things by him but have never seen anything.  Anybody know
if he has written anything else?

thanks,
ds
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!steiner
arpa:   Steiner@RUTGERS
-------

jo@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA (06/05/85)

From: Jonathan Ostrowsky <jo@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA>

In #195 Dave Steiner asked:

    Does anyone know anything about a Craig Shaw Gardner?  I read a
    story of his in Flashing Swords #5. It was about a sorcerer named
    "Ebenezum".  I found it a rather amusing story and have been looking
    for other things by him but have never seen anything.  Anybody know
    if he has written anything else?

Craig is an old friend, although we haven't been in touch very much the
last few years.  He's been writing for over a decade;  he's published
fiction in a couple of magazines and a few anthologies, film reviews,
and SF book reviews.  I've heard that he's recently signed a multibook
contract with a major SF publisher.

Craig is a terrific guy, very funny.  He goes to a lot of cons and
serves on panels at most of them, so you might run into him if you go to
any yourself.

I'll give him a call and get a list of his fiction credits for you.

jo@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA (07/16/85)

From: Jonathan Ostrowsky <jo@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA>

From SF-LOVERS #199:

    Date: Wed, 5 Jun 85 15:48 EDT
    From: Jonathan Ostrowsky <jo@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA>

    In #195 Dave Steiner asked:

	Does anyone know anything about a Craig Shaw Gardner?  I read a
	story of his in Flashing Swords #5. It was about a sorcerer
	named "Ebenezum".  I found it a rather amusing story and have
	been looking for other things by him but have never seen
	anything.  Anybody know if he has written anything else?

    Craig is an old friend, although we haven't been in touch very much
    the last few years.  He's been writing for over a decade; he's
    published fiction in a couple of magazines and a few anthologies,
    film reviews, and SF book reviews.  I've heard that he's recently
    signed a multibook contract with a major SF publisher.

    Craig is a terrific guy, very funny.  He goes to a lot of cons and
    serves on panels at most of them, so you might run into him if you
    go to any yourself.

    I'll give him a call and get a list of his fiction credits for you.

    ------------------------------

I finally spoke with Craig last night.  He was happy to report that Ace
is going to publish three Ebenezum novels:  "A Malady of Magicks", "A
Multitude of Monsters", and "A Night in the Netherhells".  I don't know
exactly when the books will start appearing.

As for his other credits, he's published 15 stories previously, most of
them horror.  A couple of the stories are "Bar and Grill" in the
anthology "Afterwar" and "Overnight Guest" in the "Midnights" anthology.
Still to appear is "The Man Who Loved Water" in "Shadows 8".

In addition, Craig has written a large number of book reviews for the
Washington Post and the Cleveland Plain Dealer.  He has also written
(but not yet sold) a Billy the Kid western novel.  (It turns out he is a
descendant of Billy the Kid's stepfather, which might explain the book.)

mte@busch.UUCP (Moshe Eliovson) (07/19/85)

In article <2745@topaz.ARPA>, jo@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA writes:
> From: Jonathan Ostrowsky <jo@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA>
>
> I finally spoke with Craig last night.  He was happy to report that Ace
> is going to publish three Ebenezum novels:  "A Malady of Magicks", "A
> Multitude of Monsters", and "A Night in the Netherhells".  I don't know
> exactly when the books will start appearing.

	This is probably the greatest thing anyone could have told me
before a dreary weekend.

	For those of you who want a tast of Craig Shaw Gardner's work
see Lin Carter's Flashing Swords #5.  If you are a fantasy fan, you've
got to be ripped to miss this series when it comes out.

			"It's Grreeeaaaat!"
				-- T. Tiger

		Moshe Eliovson
		{allegra, ihnp4}!we53!busch!mte