@RUTGERS.ARPA:Purtill.SIPB@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (05/01/85)

From: Mark Purtill <Purtill@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>

<Fnord>
>I have been trying to remember about a certain series of 'novels'
>(i.e.  4th grade equivalent) about a peculiar inhabited planet which
>orbits Earth or orbits the sun near Earth.  A very special type of
>lens was required to see this planet, which was why real astronomers
>didn't know about it; but somehow a kid found such a lens or ran
>into a visitor from this planet (whom I remember as a nice little
>man) and got involved in various problems on this planet.

I remember these (or someother books like them) too.  I think the planet
was called the * [green] [mushroom] planet, and that there were two kids
involved: an older brother and a younger sister; they got in touch with
a scientist with a rocket (who may have come from the green mushroom (or
whatever it was) planet) through an ad in the classified section of the
local newspaper (about mushrooms?); he lived on a street that was only a
block long.  Also, I think that on the planet you automagically spoke
and wrote in some other language, and that this foiled some villianous
characters plans (although I may be thinking of something else, e.g., De
Camp and Pratt's Harold Shea series.) Does anyone have exact details for
these, eg author/title(s)?

And does anyone remember the Mathew Looney books, about an (alien) kid
from the moon (where they thought DARKNESS traveled at c)?

       Mark
^.-.^  Purtill at MIT-MULTICS
(("))  2-032 MIT Cambrige MA 02139

Purtill.StudentNS@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (07/20/85)

From: Mark Purtill <Purtill@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>

<Fnord>
>or other, you have to "get out of the game"; warp drives, for,
>example, bop out of normal space into a different sort of
>environment and bop back into normal space somewhere else,
>by-passing the normal space in between.  Another approach is to
>diminish the mass of your ship in some currently unknown way, to
>compensate for the diminishing, return you're getting from the force
>you apply.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help.  As long as your FTL drive obeys the
"Principle of Relativity" (which just states that physics is the same in
all inertial frames of reference) FTL travel => time travel.  I will try
to explain (and will probably fail).  For convienince, we'll assume an
instantanious drive, but a similar argument works for any velocity > c.
(This explaination assumes you've seen special relativity before.)

          t |    t' /            |         We have two frames of
            .A      .B           |      reference: the x,t frame and
            |      /             |      the x',t' frame.  The '(primed)
            |      |             |      frame is moving at about .5c
            |     /              |      relative to the unprimed frame.
            |     |              |        Given an instantanious drive,
            |    /               |  x'  we'll show that S can communicate
            |    |               |___/  with T, which is in it's past on
            |   /             ___.S     the world-line ST.  Bad news.
            |  |          ___/   |
            | /       ___/       |
            | |   ___/           |
            |/___/               |
           O./___________________.T___ x

Okay, so what we do is start off at S moving at .5c relative to the x,t
frame, ie, in the x',t' frame of reference.  We use our drive, and end
up at O (which is simultaneaous to S in the x',t' frame of reference.)
Waiting there is another ship, in the x,t frame of reference.  We send
(via radio or whatever) S's message to that ship, which uses it's drive
to get to T (simultaneous in *it's* frame of reference.) But T is just S
in the past!

Now, *if* one is willing to postualte a special frame of reference,
wherein one can travel faster than the speed of light, one is okay.  If
there are two such, you get time-travel.  Also, note that Tachyons avoid
the time-travel paradoxes by not being detectable from the STL side of
the universe.

[This is gotten from a physics book called _Special_Relativity_ or some
such, by an author whose name starts with a 'B,' but which I've
forgotten.  If my explaination is incomprehensible, you might try
looking in a book with the same name for a better explaination.]

       Mark
^.-.^  Purtill at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA    **Insert favorite disclaimer here**
(("))  2-032 MIT Cambrige MA 02139