[net.sf-lovers] Life Probe

RPS385%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA (07/14/85)

From: RPS385%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA  (Jeff Smith)

There is a really good story dealing with artificial intellegence,
man's first contact with extra-terrestrial intellegence, and FTL
travel, called "Life Probe".

*********************** PSUEDO-SPOLIER *******************************

It is about a race of creatures, called The Makers, who are have a
strong desire for the seeking of knowlage, exploration, and all that
other good stuff. They have populated all the planets in thier
solar system, and some around nearby stars, but they are still
unsatisfied.

The only method of space travel they know is slower-than-light, called
Slow Boats. In order for them to colonize and explore more rapidly,
they set out to find the secret of FTL travel. They work up a few
good theories, but they all fail in practice, so they send out
several hundred thousand "Life Probes", which will scour the universe
in search of intellegent life, but more importantly intellegent life
that know the secret of FTL travel. One of these probes happens
across Earth, and decides to instigate it's prime function. To
establish contact with the Humans..

******************* END PSEUDO-SPOILER SECTION *********************

This book is really great, and the author has written more, but I
can't seem to remember his name.

wales@ucla-cs.UUCP (07/20/85)

In article <2708@topaz.ARPA> RPS385%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA writes:

>From: RPS385%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA  (Jeff Smith)
>
>There is a really good story dealing with artificial intellegence,
>man's first contact with extra-terrestrial intellegence, and FTL
>travel, called "Life Probe".
>
>. . .
>
>This book is really great, and the author has written more, but I
>can't seem to remember his name.

LIFE PROBE's author is Michael McCollum.  I second Jeff Smith's
recommendation of this book.
--
Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 213-825-5683
	3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA