[mod.ai] AI, Graphics & Simulation

Fishwick@upenn.CSNET (Paul Fishwick) (05/15/86)

>> Date: Mon, 12 May 86 12:19:46 est
>> From: munnari!csadfa.cs.adfa.oz!gyp@seismo.CSS.GOV (Patrick Tang)
>> Subject: Graphics, Artifical Intelligence and Simulation
>>
>>        Is there anyone out there come across any literature
>>        describing the topics Graphics, Artifical Intelligence and
>>        Simulation together. It seems to me that literatures on
>>        these combined topics are VERY VERY scarce!!!

There  are  a  number  of  projects  that  have  incorporated graphics, ai, and
simulation. Perhaps the largest project has  been  the  STEAMER  project  which
incorporates  layers of object abstractions for a steam plant. At Penn, we have
a multi-level simulation system  (HIRES)  that  permits  the  construction  and
interactive  control  of  process  abstraction  layers.   We also have a facial
animation system (OASIS) that incorporates local area  expression  simulations.
Both HIRES and OASIS utilize the Iris Workstation 2400 (Silicon Graphics, Inc.)
for real-time animation.  Rand Corporation (Santa Monica, CA) has been involved
with  object  oriented  simulation  for  quite  some time (I think they have an
example graphical simulation of a battle scenario). You should also  check  out
the commercial enterprise, Pritsker Associates, who sell a graphical simulation
package. Some references are given:

   1. Hollan  James,  Hutchins  Edwin,  Weitzman  Louis  -  "STEAMER:   An
      Interactive   Inspectable   Simulation-Based  Training  System",  AI
      Magazine (Summer 1984).

   2. Fishwick,  Paul  -  "Hierarchical  Reasoning:   Simulating   Complex
      Processes  over  Multiple Levels of Abstraction", Ph.D Thesis, Univ.
      of Pennsylvania, 1986 (MIS-CS-85-21).

   3. Platt, Steve - "A Structural Model of the Human Face", Ph.D  Thesis,
      Univ. of Pennsylvania, 1985.

   4. McArthur,  David  and Sowizral, Henry - "An Object-Oriented Language
      for Constructing Simulations", IJCAI 1981.

An important issue with "AI and Simulation" is determining where the "ai" is in
simulation.  The answer to that may best be found in the special workshop in AI
and Simulation to be held at AAAI-86. Even though graphics  is  not  explicitly
mentioned,  you  should  also  check  out  the qualitative reasoning/simulation
literature (de Kleer, Forbus, Kuipers, and others) in past  IJCAI/AAAI's.  Also
"aggregation"  is  receiving wider attention these days: look at Goldin & Klahr
(IJCAI '81) and Weld (IJCAI '85).

-paul
CSNET: fishwick@upenn