[net.sf-lovers] SF writers in FOOTFALL

rohn@randvax.UUCP (Laurinda Rohn) (07/12/85)

In article <105@denelcor.UUCP> lmc@denelcor.UUCP (Lyle McElhaney) writes:
>The SF writers who make up the "threat team" in Niven & Pournelle's new
>book _Footfall_ are:
>
>	Robert & Virginia Anson
>	Sherry Atkinson
>	Nat Reynolds
>	Joe Ransom
>	Wade and Jane Curtis
>	Bob Burnham
>	Carol North (added later)
>
>The remainder are not clear to me. The only other real clues are that
>Atkinson is pacififistic (non-paranoid, as Anson puts it). Bob Burnham has
>white hair and wears a gaudy vest, Ransom has a thick black mustache. Carol
>North could be Andre Norton, except that she is depicted as rather young.

Joe Ransom is probably Jim Ransom, who is a friend of mine and a
good friend of Jerry's as well.  He lives in LA.

With the clues about white hair and a gaudy vest, Bob Burnham HAS to be
Bob Forward, who has white hair and a wears some of the gaudiest vests
I've ever seen.

I'm not sure about the others.  I know there's a woman who used to live
in LA named Sherry A. McNeal, and she is (or was) active in the pro-
space community and has edited at least one book on the subject.

					Lauri
					rohn@rand-unix.ARPA
					..decvax!randvax!rohn

"I told you when I met you I was crazy..."

lmc@denelcor.UUCP (Lyle McElhaney) (07/14/85)

The SF writers who make up the "threat team" in Niven & Pournelle's new
book _Footfall_ are:

	Robert & Virginia Anson
	Sherry Atkinson
	Nat Reynolds
	Joe Ransom
	Wade and Jane Curtis
	Bob Burnham
	Carol North (added later)

Most obviously, The first are Robert (Anson) and Virginia Heinlein. Nat
Reynolds and Wade Curtis write together, and both live in Los Angeles (if
that's not enough of a clue, check out Curtis' response to the aliens'
conditional surrender: "Nuke them till they glow, and then shoot then in
the dark").

The remainder are not clear to me. The only other real clues are that
Atkinson is pacififistic (non-paranoid, as Anson puts it). Bob Burnham has
white hair and wears a gaudy vest, Ransom has a thick black mustache. Carol
North could be Andre Norton, except that she is depicted as rather young.

Ah, well, its fun guessing.

Lyle McElhaney
...denelcor!lmc

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (07/15/85)

>The SF writers who make up the "threat team" in Niven & Pournelle's new
>book _Footfall_ are:
>
>        Robert & Virginia Anson
>        Sherry Atkinson
>        Nat Reynolds
>        Joe Ransom
>        Wade and Jane Curtis
>        Bob Burnham
>        Carol North (added later)
>
>Most obviously, The first are Robert (Anson) and Virginia Heinlein. Nat
>Reynolds and Wade Curtis write together, and both live in Los Angeles (if
>that's not enough of a clue, check out Curtis' response to the aliens'
>conditional surrender: "Nuke them till they glow, and then shoot then in
>the dark").

	To make it even more obvious didn't Jerry Pournelle write for
	Analog under the penname of Wade Curtis? I especially remember
	his story 'A Matter of Sovereignity'.

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (07/20/85)

> From:	denelcor!lmc	(Lyle McElhaney)

> The SF writers who make up the "threat team" in Niven & Pournelle's new
> book _Footfall_ are:
> [...]
>	Wade and Jane Curtis
> [...]
> Reynolds and Wade Curtis write together, and both live in Los Angeles (if
> that's not enough of a clue, check out Curtis' response to the aliens'
> conditional surrender: "Nuke them till they glow, and then shoot then in
> the dark").

And if *that's not enough of a clue, check out the fact that two
stories that appeared in ANALOG in 1972 ("A Matter of Sovereignty",
Jan, and "Power to the People", Aug) as by Wade Curtis also appeared
in Pournelle's collection HIGH JUSTICE. Not to mention the fact that
two Wade Curtis suspense novels, RED HEROIN and RED DRAGON will be
reprinted later this year under Pournelle's own name.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

<"Bibliography is my business">