[mod.ai] VAX VMS LISP

larry@JPL-VLSI.ARPA.UUCP (05/16/86)

Are there any Common LisPs for the VAX under VMS?  (DEC's VAX LisP is an
Ultrix product only, so far as I know.)

If there's no (decent) Common LisP, what is the best choice?

                           Larry @ jpl-vlsi.arpa

jbs@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (05/20/86)

In article <8605200626.AA27708@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> larry@JPL-VLSI.ARPA writes:
>Are there any Common LisPs for the VAX under VMS?  (DEC's VAX LisP is an
>Ultrix product only, so far as I know.)
>
>[...]
>                           Larry @ jpl-vlsi.arpa

You have things backwards.  VAX LISP is a VMS-only product.

Jeff Siegal

HAAR%RCSMPA%gmr.com@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA.UUCP (05/21/86)

In AILIST 4-124, Larry@JPL-VLSI,ARPA asks about availability of
Common LISP on VAX/VMS.

I don't know where you got your information, but DEC sells a good
version of Common LISP that runs under VMS or microVMS. As far as
I have seen, it is a complete and faithful implementation with
some additions for accessing system routines and calling code
written in other languages.

There is also a package that DEC calls tha AI Workstation that
consists of a VAXstation, Common LISP, and some LISP software
to do window-oriented editing, etc. on the bit-mapped display
of the VAXstation. I haven't used this yet, so I cannot comment.

I have heard that there will be Flavors and Common LOOPS available
as well, but haven't seen any hard evidence of this.

DEC appears to be firmly committed to Common LISP (any DECies
care to comment?). They even use Guy Steele's book "Common LISP"
as part of the documentation.

        Bob Haar
        G. M. Research Labs