[net.sf-lovers] FTL

duntemann.wbst@PARC-MAXC.ARPA (01/19/84)

----------

Subject: Undelivered mail
From: BacoNoir.ms (a Grapevine mail server)
To: duntemann.wbst
Date: 18-Jan-84 15:42:21 EST

The message sent by duntemann.wbst at 18-Jan-84 15:41:35 EST could not
be delivered to the following recipients because they were rejected by
the MTP server "Maxc".  The reason given was: Domain missing in ARPA
recipient name "JAFFE&RUTGERS"

JAFFE&RUTGERS.ARPA

----------------

From: duntemann.wbst
Date: 18-Jan-84 15:37:40 EST
Subject: FTL
To: JAFFE&RUTGERS.ARPA

The beauty of special relativity and time dilation is
that it does NOT completely outlaw FTL travel.  It only outlaws FTL
with respect to an external reference frame.  If you abandon external
reference frames, you can travel as quickly as you like.  With the
exception of Anderson, few SF writers have picked up on this, and
none that I know of treat it as a normal, useful effect.  For example,
assume you have a total conversion drive which accelerates all
particles within a given volume equally--no stresses are placed
on the substance of the starship or the people inside.  With
total conversion of matter, accelerations of 2000 or 3000 G should
be easy enough to achieve.  This violates no physical laws that I know
of; obviously we don't know how to do it yet nor will we for some
time.

But that magnitude of acceleration would make a trip to the nearer
stars a matter of weeks or months rather than centuries.  So who
gives a damn if the universe ages a millenium in the process?  If
the idea is to get a boatload of colonists somewhgere, timeslips
like that are trivial--the planet won't change noticeably in the
meantime.

If we can ever perfect a "thruster" as Niven called them, we will
travel as fast as we like--as long as we never look back.

Godspeed,

Jeff Duntemann

duntemann.wbst@PARC-MAXC

stern@bnl.UUCP (Eric Stern) (01/22/84)

>                                                 For example,
>assume you have a total conversion drive which accelerates all
>particles within a given volume equally--no stresses are placed
>on the substance of the starship or the people inside.  With
>total conversion of matter, accelerations of 2000 or 3000 G should
>be easy enough to achieve.  This violates no physical laws that I know
>of; obviously we don't know how to do it yet nor will we for some
>time.

  Actually, to do this would require communicating a change
in velocity instantly over a nonzero distance, which
is prohibited by special relativity.  This is the cause
of the large-stick-in-the-small-garage special relativity
so-called paradox.

  The point is, that any FTL scheme would require
that special relativity be extended in a radical
way, and we would probably need a new way of
looking at space-time in order to resolve
all the causality paradoxes that arise in special
relativity from FTL communications.

That is why this is science fiction right now.

				Eric G. Stern

cooley@nmtvax.UUCP (03/21/84)

		FTL travel has interesting possibilities when you consider time as
a series of events perceived by the senses and strung together as a
continuous line by consciousness. This is the same as saying that time is
simultaneous and all events happen at the same "time".
		If such is the case than the likely place to go when one passes the
speed of light is into a different probability system. Note: I'm not saying
that the speed of light is a barrier, but merely that as you approach the speed
of light, your perceptual network becomes discontinuous with the networks of
those at different speeds (relative to you).
		If you were a telepath traveling at very near the speed of light, and
you tuned in to a telepath moving at a relatively slow speed, would you be
able to read his/her thoughts or would they be too fast?
		After all, if two photons are traveling towards each other at the
speed of light, isn't the distance between them shrinking at twice the speed
of light? Both the photons and the distance between them are perceptual
objects: In one framework we are measuring spped of travel from point A to
point B, in the other we are measuring rate of shrinkage. 1 = 1c, 2 = 2c.

								Michael Cooley
								Socorro, NM
								c/o twilight zone

Donald.Schmitz%CMU-RI-ARM@sri-unix.UUCP (03/27/84)

Re the post by Michael Cooley in which he gives the example of two photons
approaching each other and claims the distance between them shrinks at speed
2c.  This seems like an example used to explain relativity that I've read
somewhere before, and the results are not exactly what are expected, as
what happens depends on the point of view. If viewed from a coordinate
system attached to either photon, the other appears to be
approaching at a speed just under c.  If viewed from a coordinate system
attached to say the point of collision of the two photons, the distance
between the two is shrinking at speed 2c, however this does not imply that
any physical object or information is traveling at speed greater than c.

If I've gotten any of the details wrong here (I'm working completely from
memory and can remember the text) please let me know.  Also, regarding the
question of one telepath traveling at relativistic speeds compared to the
other, Heinlein wrote a story based on just such a premise many years back
(one of his juvenile books I read in about 8th grade), with exactly what was
described happening.  The telepaths, taken along on the first star trip for
communication, had to concentrate on one idea for hours so that their earth
bound receptors could catch what they were sending, and had to use hypnosis
to pay attention to the return transmission long enough to understand it
(although transmission time was instantaneous).

Don

Edward.Tecot@CMU-CS-H.ARPA (05/23/84)

	Einstein *could* be wrong.

SRA@MIT-XX.ARPA (07/21/85)

From: Rob Austein <SRA@MIT-XX.ARPA>

Of *course* Niven's FTL drive had no relation to the other space
drives in use and hasn't been well explained.  If we understood it why
would we have to buy it from the Outsiders???  For that matter, if we
understood it we would probably understand why intelligent races like
the Outsiders and the Puppeteers won't ride in the damned things.

--Rob
-------