[mod.ai] New Society - Bay Area AI and Education Meeting

RICHER@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Mark Richer) (06/13/86)

Date: 13 Jun 86 10:27 PDT
From: dmrussell.pa@Xerox.COM
Subject: Bay Area AI and Education Meeting: June 23rd, 6PM, PARC

What: 	Bay Area AI and Education Group holding its first meeting.

Where: 	Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC)
		3333 Coyote Hill Rd.
		Palo Alto, CA
		(send for detailed directions)

When: 	June 23rd, 6PM

Who:
	Speakers:  Jim Greeno and Peter Pirolli
			"Some New Directions in the Science of
			Instructional Design"
			Math Science and Technology
			Education Dept.
			University of Calif. Berkeley

	Host: 	Daniel Russell
			Intelligent Systems Lab
			PARC

Amplification:

	BARRET (Bay ARea Research in Educational Technology) is an
attempt to bring together many of the local people working in the area
of applying AI to education.  There are significant efforts at
Berkeley, Stanford, UCSF, SRI, PARC and so on.  BARRET is a way of
establishing some communication between the various groups, by hosting
technical talks on this topic and setting aside time for informal
discussion.

	To do this, BARRET will be implemented as a moving sequence of talks
circulating throughout the Bay Area on a (roughly) monthly basis.  We
hope to have high quality talks on areas of mutual interest to be
followed by an equally high-quality dinner that will allow us to meet
and discuss topics further.

	This first meeting of BARRET will be followed by dinner at Chef Chu's,
assuming that we can get a reasonable headcount.  (With enough warning,
non-MSG-ers and veggies can be accomodated.)

	So, if you are interested in attending, please message (or call) me and
let me know of your intentions.  That will allow us to do some planning
for our first meeting.

-- Dan Russell --

ArpaNet: DMRussell.PA@XEROX.COM
Phone: (415)-494-4308