[mod.ai] Transitivity of a *particular* analogy, and let's do science!

jay@ROCHESTER.ARPA (Jay Weber) (07/09/86)

But I orginally wrote:

>>  3) transitive. "A battery is like a reservoir" and
>>                 "A reservoir is like a ketchup bottle" imply
>>                 "A battery is like a ketchup bottle" WHEN THE SAME
>>                 ANALOGY HOLDS BETWEEN THEM (same R).

Note the use of "SAME ANALOGY" which is not the same as "any analogy"
as is the basis of Uttam's example above.  Of course, any two categories
are analogous with respect to some mapping function, so the relation
"is analogous to" is vacuous.  This distinction tends to be obscured
by the fact that most linguistic examples of analogy (like those above)
leave the mapping function implicit.

Furthermore, I did not claim that the SPACE of analogies partitions the
space of categories, but that a particular analogy does:

>> Then any analogy R is an equivalence relation, partitioning the space
>> of categories.

I also questioned the value of asking whether "creativity" is equivalent
to "making interesting analogies" to which Uttam replied:

>    I am glad that scientists, by and large, have not let "slipperiness" in
>some linguistic sense (as you define it) discourage them from carrying on
>their research.

Proper scientists (by definition) do not construct theories about things
that cannot be empirically examined, e.g. using structure mapping functions
to model the communal descriptive definition of the English word
"creativity".  Scientists pick testable domains such as problem solving
where you can test predictions of a particular theory with respect to
correct problem solving.  In the past, scientists have left debate over
such concepts as "truth" and "beauty" to philosophers, and I think we
should do the same with "creativity" and "intelligence".  In Cognitive
Science, researchers have too often exaggerated the impact of their work
through the careless and unscientific use of such terms.

Jay Weber
Computer Science Department
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627