[mod.ai] Conservation of Info, etc.

colonel@buffalo.CSNET ("Col. G. L. Sicherman") (08/04/86)

In article <8608010557.AA11269@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, larry@JPL-VLSI.ARPA writes:
> The ability to quantify and measure pattern and shape has profound implica-
> tions for the study of formerly mystical topics such as intelligence.   It
> means we can develop conservation laws for information, without which you
> can't construct an essential ingredient of mathematics, equations.

While I agree with much of the article, this assumption looks superfluous
to me.  Computer programs are a kind of mathematics, and they use assign-
ments and functions rather than equations.

More generally, I should like to see discussed what "information" means
in the abstract sense.  After all, anything can be said to contain all
conceivable information about itself.  Is "information" meaningful apart
from communication?