[mod.ai] Cognitive Science Schools

schwamb@MITRE.ARPA (09/25/86)

Well, now that some folks have commented on the best AI schools in
the country, could we also hear about the best Cognitive Science
programs?  Cog Sci has been providing a lot of fuel for thought to
the AI community and I'd like to know where one might specialize
in this.

Thanks, Karl   (schwamb@mitre)

rapaport@buffalo.CSNET ("William J. Rapaport") (09/29/86)

In article <8609221503.AA15901@mitre.ARPA> schwamb@MITRE.ARPA writes:
>Well, now that some folks have commented on the best AI schools in
>the country, could we also hear about the best Cognitive Science
>programs?  Cog Sci has been providing a lot of fuel for thought to
>the AI community and I'd like to know where one might specialize
>in this.
>
>Thanks, Karl   (schwamb@mitre)

The SUNY Buffalo Graduate Group in Cognitive Science was formed to
facilitate cognitive-science research at SUNY Buffalo.  Its activities
have focused on language-related issues and knowledge representation.
These two areas are well-represented at SUNY Buffalo by the research
interests of faculty and graduate students in the Group.

The Group draws its membership primarily from the Departments of
Computer Science, Linguistics, Philosophy, Psychology, and Communicative
Disorders, with many faculty from other departments (e.g., Geography,
Education) involved on a more informal basis.  A current research project
on deixis in narrative is being undertaken by a research subgroup.

While the Group does not offer any degrees by itself, a Cognitive
Science "focus" in a Ph.D. program in one of the participating
disciplines is available.

There is also a Graduate Group in Vision.

For further details, see AI Magazine, Summer 1986, or contact:

		William J. Rapaport
		Assistant Professor of Computer Science
		Co-Director, Graduate Group in Cognitive Science

Dept. of Computer Science, SUNY Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14260

(716) 636-3193, 3180

uucp:	..!{allegra,decvax,watmath,rocksanne}!sunybcs!rapaport
csnet:	rapaport@buffalo.csnet
bitnet:	rapaport@sunybcs.bitnet