[mod.ai] Garbage Collection

garren@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (Scott Garren) (10/06/86)

Relative to discussions of garbage collectors I would like to point out
that there are issues of scale involved.  Many techniques that work
admirably on an address space limited to 8 Mbytes (Xerox hardware)
do not scale at all well to systems that support up to 1 Gbytes
(Symbolics).

Non-disclaimer: I am an employee of Symbolics and am of course
emotionally and financially involved in this issue.

Welch%OSU-20@OHIO-STATE.ARPA (Arun) (10/15/86)

>From: garren@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (Scott Garren)
>Date: 6 Oct 86 14:05:00 GMT
>
>Relative to discussions of garbage collectors I would like to point out
>that there are issues of scale involved.  Many techniques that work
>admirably on an address space limited to 8 Mbytes (Xerox hardware)
>do not scale at all well to systems that support up to 1 Gbytes
>(Symbolics).

To pick a nit here, the Xerox machines are capable of addressing up to 32Mb.

Arun Welch
{ihnp4,cbosgd}!osu-eddie!welch
welch@ohio-state.{CSNET,ARPA}
welch@red.rutgers.edu  (a guest account, but mail gets to me eventually)