[net.sf-lovers] Lovecraft + sf in music.

bader@CMU-PSY-A (07/24/85)

From: bader@cmu-psy-a (miles bader)

I thank all who responded to my Lovecraftian movie request.  After perusing
an HPL book or two, I have something to add.

1.  The story @i(Pickman's Model) was made into a Night Gallery (color and all)
    of a name unknown to me.

    Both the original and the NG concern an artist who incorporated grisly
    creatures doing ghastly things into his paintings.

    The book had a male who was interested in his work accompany the artist to
    his studio in a run-down part of town.  The artist scuffles with something
    out of the sight of his guest, forces it back into the maze of tunnels
    that opens into the cellar, and lives on. In the process, the author gets
    scared, and runs off clutching what ends up being a photograph of a real
    creature, which here were doggish with sort of cloven hooves, upright,
    and somewhat humanish.  They were supposed to be involved with the
    old 'changeling' legends, where these creatures would exchange one of
    their young for a human baby, and it would grow up to look human.

    The TV adaptation differs in that the interested party was an attractive
    female who followed the artist to the studio in the run-down part of
    town secretly because she was interested in both his paintings and him.
    He scuffles with an unseen creature, but when the door opens it is the
    creature who chases the blond around the room.  The creature here was
    distinctly reptilian, green, and not very convincing.

2.  There was a movie, called The Devil of Hobbs End, or something like
    that, I think.  In this flick, excavation for a subway uncovers this
    strange blue ancient spaceship, which contains a few dead grasshopper
    aliens, ....   The 'thing discovered while digging for a subway' theme
    is brought out in length in HPL's "Pickman's Model" and a few others,
    and one of his stories mentions such stuff as occuring at "Cobb End,"
    while I think this movie concerned "Hobb's End" or some such.

As for SF in music...

Children of the Sun was done by Billy Thorpe.

M. Moorcock did indeed work with Hawkwind, and he released a little-known
solo album in the late 70's.

There is much reference in electronic and strange music concerning SG.  I
picked up an album by Ramases called "Space Wars" which has this groovy
zillion-gatefold cover of a rocket lifting off from a church.  Inspection
of the inside of the cover confirms the SF content.

Scorpions did a song called "Robot Man" on @i(In Trance), as well as a number
of other songs on their early albums with SF/F themes.

Who can hear Also Sprach Zarathustra (sp?) without thinking of 2001?

There was a 70's band called Magma who based themselves on a sort
of SF background, inventing their own language (reflective of German and
Lovecraft -- well, sort of) and stories about being invaded by
people/creatures from somewhere called ORK.  The first mention of Ork
I have seen is on their 1974 Khontarkask  (something like that) album.
That was pre-mork and mindy, wasn't it?....

Metallica did a an instrumental song called "Kthulu" [sic] on
@i(Ride the Lightning.)

Anvil did a song (not especially memorable) called "Mothra"

Fleetwood Mac (later Judas Preist) -- The Green Manalishi with the 2 Pronged
Crown.

Some of Black Sabbath's work could be seen as having SF influences, like the
@i(Technical Ecstasy) album.

Earth Wind and Fire did something about a guy from Jupiter.

BOC -- lots of stuff, like Cultosaurus Erectus.

Uli Jon Roth - Electric Sun -- three albums of SF/F from ex-Scorpions
guitarist.

Flash Fearless and the Zorg Women, parts 5&6  -- really weird album put
out in the mid-late seventies, with an included comic book formed around
the lyrics on the album.  Made fun of Flash Gordon and others, soundtrack
has songs not found elsewhere by subsets of {Alice Cooper, John Entwhistle,
Keith Moon, Kenny Jones, ...}

The movie Heavy Metal, which featured music that by and large wasn't.

Half of anything Jimi Hendrix did.

The band UFO.

some Todd Rundgren / Utopia stuff

=======

as for SF based on music, what about "The Music of Erich Zann," from, of
course, H.P. Lovecraft.

I may have posted some parts of the above before; if so, join me in cursing
my mailer.

Al Datri
Carnegie-Mellon University

arpa: (me)
aad%cmu-vice-postoffice@pt.cs.cmu.edu (yes, one of THOSE) (should work)

arpa:  (my friend with arpa outputability)
bader%cmu-psy-a

usenet:
ad0r%cmu-cc-tb%cmu-cs-g% { usenet path, ending with !pitt }   (may work)

mailnet:
ad0r%cmu-cc-tb%carnegie.mailnet    { @mit-?}  (looks like it should work)

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (07/24/85)

In article <2877@topaz.ARPA> version B 2.10.2 9/18/84; bader@CMU-PSY-A writes:

>as for SF based on music, what about "The Music of Erich Zann," from, of
>course, H.P. Lovecraft.

There was an obscure rock band in the late '60s called H. P.
Lovecraft. They recorded one album that I'm aware of that has a song
called 'At The Mountains Of Madness' on it. Not a particularly
thrilling or memorable album.

I also seem to recall a song titled something like 'Rocket #9' on
NRBQ's first album, and some kind of rocket-related song on 'Kick Out
The Jams' by the MC-5.

Oh, and I haven't seen a mention of '2000 Light Years From Home' on
the Rolling Stones' album 'Their Satanic Majesties Request.'

                       -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly