[mod.ai] AI vs. RI

"NGSTL1::DANNY%ti-eg.CSNET"@RELAY.CS.NET (From the desk of Daniel Paul) (10/22/86)

In the last AI digest (V4 #226), Daniel Simon writes:

>One question you haven't addressed is the relationship between intelligence and
>"human performance".  Are the two synonymous?  If so, why bother to make
>artificial humans when making natural ones is so much easier (not to mention
>more fun)?

This is a question that has been bothering me for a while.  When it is so much
cheaper (and possible now, while true machine intelligence may be just a dream)
why are we wasting time training machines when we could be training humans in-
stead.  The only reasons that I can see are that intelligent systems can be made
small enough and light enough to sit on bombs.  Are there any other reasons?

Daniel Paul

danny%ngstl1%ti-eg@csnet-relay