[net.sf-lovers] FTL & Physics

Alfke.PASA@Xerox.ARPA (07/24/85)

From: Peter Alfke <Alfke.pasa@Xerox.ARPA>

This is in reply to Jim Gardner's message...

>Operationally, how does one measure mass?  One subjects an object to
>a known force and sees how it accelerates, then one applies F=ma.
>If the object is more or less stationary in your own frame of
>reference, you can for example put the object on a weigh scale.  The
>force of gravity acts on the object, accelerating it downward a
>small distance before the known force of the springs in the scale
>decelerate the object.  The distance that the object has moved
>(entirely a function of the acceleration given by the two forces) is
>used to determine the object's mass.

Not quite: in a spring scale one subjects the object to a known
*accelleration*
(9.8 m/s^2), which causes a downwards force on the object.  The spring
provides an upwards force which is linear with the distance it's
compressed/expanded, and one sees how far the spring must move before
the forces balance.  (A small point, but let's keep things straight.)

>[The formula for mass] does not apply to particles going at the speed
>of light, since the formula would involve division by zero.
>Nevertheless, there are many many "things" that move at the speed
>of light (light being a prime example).  We can say that the mass
>formula is not correct for "things" whose speed is >= the speed of
>light; or we can say that mass is not a meaningful concept for such
>things.

Photons (and anything else which travels at lightspeed) are massless.
You can multiply their mass by any gamma factor (the thing that goes
infinite at c) and it stays zero: thus, the formula still applies.
Interestingly enough, photons do have momentum, which varies with
wavelength, not speed.

If we could get rid of ALL of a starship's mass, we could get it to go
at lightspeed very easily ... hmmm.  Sounds like a great gimmick for a
space-opera.

						--Peter Alfke