[mod.ai] Mathematics, Humanity Re: AIList

WADLISP7@CARLETON.BITNET (walter roberson) (10/29/86)

Gilbert Cockton <mcvax!ukc!its63b!hwcs!aimmi!gilbert@seismo.css.gov>
recently wrote:

>This is contentious and smacks of modelling all learning procedures
>in terms of a single subject, i.e. mathematics. I can't think of a
>more horrible subject to model human understanding on, given the
>inhumanity of most mathematics!

The inhumanity of *most* mathematics? I would think that from the rest of
your message, what you would really claim is the inhumanity of *all*
mathematics -- for *all* of mathematics is entirely deviod of the questions
of what is morally right or morally wrong, entirely missing all matters of
human relationships. Mathematical theorems start by listing the assumptions,
and then indicating how those assumptions imply a result. Many humans seem
to devote their entire lifes to forcibly changing other people's assumptions
(and not always for the better!); most people don't seem to care about
this process. Mathematics, then, could be said to be the study of single
points, where "real life" requires that humans be able to adapt to a line
or perhaps something even higher order.| And yet that does not render
mathematics "inhumane", for we humans must always react to the single point
that is "now", and we *do* employ mathematics to guide us in that reaction.
Thus, mathematics is not inhumane at all -- at worst, it is a subclass of
"humanity". If you prefer to think if it in such terms, this might be
expressed as " !! Humanity encompasses something Universal!"

Perhaps, though, there should be a category of study devoted to modelling
the transformation of knowledge as the very assumptions change. A difficult
question, of course, is whether such a study should attempt to, in any
way, model the "morality" of changing assumptions. I would venture that
it should not, but that a formal method of measuring the effects of such
changes would not be out of order.
-----
Gilbert, as far as I can tell, you have not presented anything new in your
article. Unless I misunderstand you completely, your entire arguement is based
upon the premise that there is something special about life that negates the
possibility of life being modelled by any formal system, no matter how
complex. As I personally consider that it might be possible to do such a
modelling note that I don't say that it *is* possible to do such a modelling|,
I disregard the entire body of your arguements. The false premise implies
all conclusions.
-----
>Nearer to home, find me
>one computer programmer who's understanding is based 100% on formal procedures.
>Even the most formal programmers will be lucky to be in program-proving mode
>more than 60% of the time.  So I take it that they don't `understand' what
>they're doing the other 40% of the time?

I'm not quite sure what you mean to imply by "program-proving mode". The
common use of the word "prove" would imply "a process of logically
demonstrating that an already-written program is correct". The older use of
"prove" would imply "a process of attempting to demonstrate that an already-
written program is incorrect." In either case, the most formal of programmers
spend relatively little time in "program-proving mode", as those programmers
employ formal systems to write programs which are correct in the first place.
It is only those that either do not understand programming, or do not
understand all the implications of the assumptions they have programmed, that
require 60% of their time to "prove" their programs. 60% of their time proving
to others the validity of the approach, perhaps...

   walter roberson <WADLISP7@CARLETON.BITNET>

   walter