[mod.ai] turing test

"charles_kalish.EdServices"@XEROX.COM (10/16/86)

Maybe we should start a new mail group where we try to convince each
other that we understand the turing test if everybody fails we go back
to the drawing board and design a new test.

And as the first entry:

test, I think the answer is that the Turing test is acceptable because
that's how we recognize each other as intelligent beings.  Usually we
don't do it in a rigorous way because everybody always passes it.  But
if I ask you to "please pass the Cheez-whiz" and you respond "Anita
Eckbart is marinating her poodle" then I would get a little suspicious
and ask more questions designed to figure out whether you're joking,
sick, hard of hearing, etc. Depending on your answers I may decide to
downgrade your status to less than full personhood.

About Stevan Harnad's two kinds of Turing tests:  I can't really see
what difference the I/O methods of your system makes.  It seems that the
relevant issue is what kind of representation of the world it has.
While I agree that to really understand the system would need some
non-purely conventional representation (not semantic if "semantic" means
"not operable on in a formal way" as I believe [given the brain is a
physical system] all mental processes are formal  then "semantic" just
means governed by a process we don't understand yet) giving and getting
through certain kinds of I/O doesn't make much difference.  Two for
instances: SHRDLU operated on a simulated blocks world.  The
modifications to make it operate on real block would have been
peripheral and not have effected the understanding of the system. Also,
all systems take analog input and give analog output.  Most receive
finger pressure on keys and return directed streams of ink or electrons.
It may be that a robot would need  more "immediate" (as opposed to
conventional) representations, but it's neither necessary nor sufficient
to be a robot to have those representations.

P.s. don't ask me to be the moderator for this new group.  The turing
test always assumes the moderator has some claim to expertise in the
matter.

PHayes@SRI-KL.ARPA (Pat Hayes) (10/17/86)

Daniel R. Simon has worries about the Turing test.  A good place to find
intelligent discussion of these issues is Turings original article in MIND,
October 1950, v.59, pages 433 to 460.

Pat Hayes
PHAYES@SRI-KL
-------

ABOULANGER@G.BBN.COM (Albert Boulanger) (10/28/86)

I think it is amusing and instructive to look at real attempts of the
turing test.

One interesting attempt is written up in the post scriptum of the
chapter:

"A Coffeehouse Conversation on the Turing Test"
Metamagical Themas
Douglas Hofstadter
Basic Books 1985

Albert Boulanger
BBN Labs

-------

colonel@buffalo.CSNET ("Col. G. L. Sicherman") (10/31/86)

PHayes@SRI-KL.ARPA (Pat Hayes) writes:
> Daniel R. Simon has worries about the Turing test.  A good place to find
> intelligent discussion of these issues is Turings original article in MIND,
> October 1950, v.59, pages 433 to 460.

That article was in part a response to G. Jefferson's Lister Oration,
which appeared as "The mind of mechanical man" in the British Medical
Journal for 1949 (pp. 1105-1121).  It's well worth reading in its own
right.  Jefferson presents the humane issues at least as well as Turing
presents the scientific issues, and I think that Turing failed to
rebut, or perhaps to comprehend, all Jefferson's objections.