[net.sf-lovers] Jerry Pournelle

russell@muddcs.UUCP (Russell Shilling) (11/30/84)

To: Jerry Pournelle and all others interested in micro/small computers
	Not everyone on the net doesn't want you around.  Personally, I
enjoy reading your column EVERY month. It is the first thing I read when
BYTE comes (though this may be because of the decline in tech articles
in BYTE recently, sigh).  People on the net like to complain as much as
anyone, it is just that they have ready access to a captive audience :-)

--
	Russell Shilling
		UUCP:	{ allegra, ihnp4, seismo }!scgvaxd!muddcs!russell
		ARPA:	muddcs!russell@ucla-cs
	Always eat from the four basic food groups:
		Beer, Ice Cream, Chips and Salsa

bnw@crash.UUCP (07/11/85)

From: crash!bnw@SDCSVAX.ARPA

"Franz Mark" writes
>At WESTERCON we talked with Jerry Pournelle about why he never contributed
>to the SF-LOVERS bb since he had an account at MIT-MC.  He said his account
>at MIT-MC was terminated by some "graduate student" in charge of accounting,
>who felt he did not have a need for an account.  He knows who this graduate
>student" is, and he refuses to grovel so that his account is reinstated.
>However, he asked us to broadcast this little story - presumably so that
>MIT-MC will come to him.

     A completely unimpeachable source informs me that the person who deleted
Jerry Pournelle's MIC-MC account has told several people privately that he
deleted the account because Dr. Pournelle had posted messages supporting
President Reagan's SDI plan.  I would point out that this is ARPANET that
we are talking about--a Defense Department system where, it would seem, only
messages in opposition to military planning are permitted.  Part of Jerry
Pournelle's interest in spreading this is to let people know about this
misuse of ARPA.
                                                         /Bruce N. Wheelock/
                        arpanet: crash!bnw@ucsd
                           uucp: {ihnp4, cbosgd, sdcsvax, noscvax}!crash!bnw

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (07/12/85)

In article <2664@topaz.ARPA> bnw@crash.UUCP writes:
>From: crash!bnw@SDCSVAX.ARPA
>
>     A completely unimpeachable source informs me that the person who deleted
>Jerry Pournelle's MIC-MC account has told several people privately that he
>deleted the account because Dr. Pournelle had posted messages supporting
>President Reagan's SDI plan.  I would point out that this is ARPANET that
>we are talking about--a Defense Department system where, it would seem, only
>messages in opposition to military planning are permitted.  Part of Jerry
>Pournelle's interest in spreading this is to let people know about this
>misuse of ARPA.
>                                                         /Bruce N. Wheelock/
>                        arpanet: crash!bnw@ucsd
>                           uucp: {ihnp4, cbosgd, sdcsvax, noscvax}!crash!bnw

An equally trustworthy source informs me that the issue was Jerry's
broadcasting of access information to various ARPANET machines in
one of his columns.  The 'graduate student' in question contacted
Jerry to inform him that distributing phone numbers, id's, etc.
was at least a severe breach of etiquette, and that similar actions
by MIT students had led to revocation of accounts.  Jerry's response
was said to have been something like "I'm famous, you can't kill
MY account!".  The person in User Accounts did just that.

I would sincerely be interested in hearing both sides from the
actual affected parties.

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are mine alone.  (*) is a {trademark, copyright} of (*).
Quote: 	Coke are it.

psc@lzwi.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (07/25/85)

< I can use my magic to change the color to red -- but I don't do windows. >

> >                                                            I wrote
> > him once and received a form letter back.  I wrote Asimov and
> > got a PERSONAL LETTER.  Pournelle writes fairly well, but seems

I've written both.  From Asimov, I got a post card and a big signature.
I wrote Pournelle very early in his BYTE career, and kept my letters long
on information for him (to have and share).  Since then, I've gotten
three word processed letters, and several hand-written ones.  The last
one was prefaced by a form letter (and sent just after he finished up
FOOTFALL.)

> >                         Pournelle writes fairly well, but seems
> > to lack humanity and care for anyone who gets in his way.

Hmm.  He does seem to think that there's nothing much wrong with the
strong taking what they can, on the assumption that most (many) strong
people will fight for the right things.  This whole subject could lead
to a discussion of selfishness and Libertarian philosophy (JEP doesn't
call himself a libertarian, but there are some ideas in common).  Please
put such a discussion somewhere else.  (Every Unix* system has a device
for storing such things. . . .)

> I had the occasion, a few years ago, to exchange ARPAnet mail with
> Dr. Pournelle.  His messages were well written, personable, and clearly
> thought out.

My experience, too.  But he prefers paper mail.  (At 300 baud, so would
I.  Besides, it's hard to jot a reply in the borders of email.)

> Somehow the topic of drinking came up.  Pournelle says he doesn't drink
> during the month of February "just to show that [he] can."  I wish I
> hadn't deleted the exchange; it was written during the month of (as if
> you couldn't guess) February.

I've shared a few drinks with him (he paid!) before the last couple of
Worldcons.  In each case, the company was him, me, and one other micro
hacke.  In each case, there was a faster rate of drinking than I've
been used to since college, and a *hell* of a lot more talking than
drinking.  JEP didn't get any louder than normal.  (A stint in the
artilliary - Korea??? - left him partially deaf, so he's always, ah,
quite easy to hear.)

> In spite of his behaviour, I found Pournelle to be a most colorful
> guest to the Internet and wish there were a way other people in the
> SF business could access the net and exchange knowledge.

Nuff said.
--
       -Paul S. R. Chisholm       The above opinions are my own,
       {pegasus,vax135}!lzwi!psc  not necessarily those of any