[mod.ai] AI Bibliographic format

amsler@FLASH.BELLCORE.COM.UUCP (12/04/86)

Can something be done to minimize the idiosyncratic special character
usage in the bibliographies. I don't mind a format with tagged fields,
but one only designed to be read by one particular text formatting system
is a bit much for human readership. Is it really necessary to encode
font changes as something as odd as \s-1...\s0 and I don't even know
how to read entries such as the last one for the chapters in the
Grishman and Kittridge Sublanguage book.
.TS
tab(~);
l l.
N.Sager~T{
Sublanguage: Linguistic Phenomenon, Computational Tool
T}
J. Lehrberger~Sublanguage Analysis
E. Fitzpatrick~T{
The Status of Telegraphic Sublanguages
T}
J. Bachenko
D. Hindle
J. R. Hobbs~Sublanguage and Knowledge
D. E. Walker~T{
The Use of Machine Readable Dictionaries in Sublanguage Analysis
T}
R. A. Amsler
C. Friedman~T{
Automatic Structuring of Sublanguage Information: Application to
Medical Narrative
T}
E. Marsh~T{
General Semantic Patterns in Different Sublanguages
T}
C. A. Montgomery~T{
A Sublanguage for Reporting and Analysis of Space Events
T}
B. C. Glover
T. W. Finin~T{
Constraining the Interpretation of Nominal Compounds in a Limited Context
T}
G. Dunham~T{
The Role of Syntax in the Sublanguage of Medical Diagnostic Statements
T}
J. Slocum~T{
How One Might Automatically Identify and Adapt to a Sublanguage
T}
L. Hirschman~T{
Discovering Sublanguage Structures
T}
.TE

Huh!!!

HAMILTON%RCSMPA@gmr.com ("William E. Hamilton, Jr.") (12/09/86)

I emphatically agree with the following comment from Robert Amsler:

>Date: Wed, 3 Dec 86 16:08:08 est
>From: amsler@flash.bellcore.com (Robert Amsler)
>Subject: AI Bibliographic format

>Can something be done to minimize the idiosyncratic special character
>usage in the bibliographies? I don't mind a format with tagged fields,
>but one only designed to be read by one particular text formatting system
>is a bit much for human readership. Is it really necessary to encode
>font changes as something as odd as \s-1...\s0 and I don't even know
>how to read entries such as the last one for the chapters in the
>Grishman and Kittridge Sublanguage book.

(An example of a strangely formatted bibliographic entry follows)...

>Huh!!!

For those of us who don't know how to interpret the bibiographic
entries, why not circulate a specification for interpreting them, or
tell us where we can get the text formatting software
Amsler mentions. If this formatter is another piece of unix
esoterica, are there versions which work under vms?

Bill Hamilton
GM Research Labs
Computer Science Dept
313 986 1474

hamilton@gmr.com

-------

preece%mycroft@GSWD-VMS.ARPA (Scott E. Preece) (12/09/86)

The chapter entries referred to were aparently set up for
the Unix tbl pre-processor, which supports the description of
tables.

While it would be nice to have all the bibliographies in a single
format, my first concern is that they be adequately tagged, so
that the fields can be pulled out and identified, and that the
tagging scheme be defined somewhere.  Postings as untagged
text should be discouraged (well, if that's the way the text
is available, I suppose it's preferable to not posting); those
of us who would like to do things with the bibliographies other
than printing and reading them really need the tagging.

Chapter-level tagging is great, but I don't think tbl is the
appropriate method.

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana