[net.sf-lovers] Ford Prefect

jeff1@garfield.UUCP (Jeff Sparkes) (06/19/85)

        In Hitchhikers, it says that Ford Prefect had  mistakenly
chosen  his  name  to  be "especially inconspicuous".  What is it
about the name that makes it overly conpicuous?   It's  a  little
strange,  but  not  THAT strange.  Is this some British joke that
I'm not aware of?

				Jeff Sparkes
				garfield!jeff1

Welcome to the Iceberg California....

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (06/23/85)

In article <3139@garfield.UUCP> jeff1@garfield.UUCP (Jeff Sparkes) writes:

>        In Hitchhikers, it says that Ford Prefect had  mistakenly
>chosen  his  name  to  be "especially inconspicuous".  What is it
>about the name that makes it overly conpicuous?   It's  a  little
>strange,  but  not  THAT strange.  Is this some British joke that
>I'm not aware of?
>
>				Jeff Sparkes

	I took the joke to be that no name is "especially
inconspicuous" - i think that is amusing in itself. I mean, how
seriously can you take a book with statements like "the ship hung
in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't" and "the
liquid tasted almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea", and
situations in which the protagonist presses a mysterious button
only to have the button light up and say "please don't press this
button again". This is not material to be taken lightly!
	By the way i recommend this trilogy (of _four_ books!) to all
who find the following piece of dialogue amusing:
Alice: "..that's not what that word means!"
Humpty Dumpty: "Words mean what i say they mean - i pay them extra".
	(None of these quotations are exact - my books are at home -
but i hope i've captured the sense correctly... which reminds me
of another Carrolian twist - "take care of the sense and the
sounds will take care of themselves").

	..these people are so amazingly primitive they still think
digital watches are a pretty neat idea.
	:-) Greg.
--
Gregory J.E. Rawlins, Department of Computer Science, U. Waterloo
{allegra|clyde|linus|inhp4|decvax}!watmath!watdaisy!gjerawlins

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (06/25/85)

>         In Hitchhikers, it says that Ford Prefect had  mistakenly
> chosen  his  name  to  be "especially inconspicuous".  What is it
> about the name that makes it overly conpicuous?
>
> 				Jeff Sparkes
> 				garfield!jeff1

The Ford Prefect was apparently a hideously popular auto marketed
by the Ford Motor Company in Great Britain.  I'm not sure where
I heard this, but it may have been the interview with Douglas
Adams in a recent MacWorld magazine.

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- barnett@ut-sally.ARPA, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett

jwl@ucbvax.ARPA (James Wilbur Lewis) (06/26/85)

>>>From: jeff1@garfield.UUCP (Jeff Sparkes)
>>Newsgroups: net.sf-lovers
>>Subject: Ford Prefect
>>Date: 19 Jun 85 12:36:33 GMT
>>

>>        In Hitchhikers, it says that Ford Prefect had  mistakenly
>>chosen  his  name  to  be "especially inconspicuous".  What is it
>>about the name that makes it overly conpicuous?   It's  a  little
>>strange,  but  not  THAT strange.  Is this some British joke that
>>I'm not aware of?
>>

>>				Jeff Sparkes
>>				garfield!jeff1

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Ford Motor Company used to
sell a model in Great Britain called....you guessed it...the Ford Prefect!

-- Jim Lewis
   U.C. Berkeley

"Sorry for the inconvenience..."

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (Richard Jeffreys) (06/26/85)

[ DON'T PANIC! ]

>>>        In Hitchhikers, it says that Ford Prefect had  mistakenly
>>>chosen  his  name  to  be "especially inconspicuous".  What is it
>>>about the name that makes it overly conpicuous?   It's  a  little
>>>strange,  but  not  THAT strange.  Is this some British joke that
>>>I'm not aware of?
>>>				Jeff Sparkes

> I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Ford Motor Company used to
> sell a model in Great Britain called....you guessed it...the Ford Prefect!
> -- Jim Lewis

"Prefectly" correct Jim. Ford UK did produce the model known as the Prefect,
but it was (I belive) discontinued way back in the early sixties. I never
liked the design of them anyway. I liked them even less, when one decided to
turn right, just as I was overtaking it. They were quite solid and tended to
cause quite a mess when they collided with Toyotas. My father wasn't too
happy; it was his Toyota :-(
--
 [ It's not the end of the world....no it's not;
                  If it's the end of the world, well so what ? - Marti Webb ]

Alan%DCT.AC.UK%DUNDEE.AC.UK@ucl-cs.ARPA (06/26/85)

From: Alan Greig <CCD-ARG%dct@ucl-cs.arpa>

A Ford Prefect was a rather famous car ! I suppose it was never released
by Ford in the USA ?

				Alan
-------

davidl@orca.UUCP (David Levine) (06/26/85)

The joke is that the Ford Prefect is a British AUTOMOBILE!  (Imagine if his
name had been Ford Escort instead...)  I believe the Prefect was sold in the
U.S. under another name, but I don't know what it was.

David D. Levine  (...decvax!tektronix!orca!davidl)          [UUCP]
                 (orca!davidl.tektronix@csnet-relay.csnet)  [ARPA]

bruce@stc.UUCP (Bruce Munro) (06/27/85)

In article <3139@garfield.UUCP> jeff1@garfield.UUCP (Jeff Sparkes) writes:

>        In Hitchhikers, it says that Ford Prefect had  mistakenly
>chosen  his  name  to  be "especially inconspicuous".  What is it
>about the name that makes it overly conpicuous?   It's  a  little
>strange,  but  not  THAT strange.  Is this some British joke that
>I'm not aware of?

It's a type of car, Ford Prefects were around in the 50's and 60's
I think.

What I could never work out was how Zaphod Beeblebrox knew Ford was
called Ford as he hadn't seen him since before Ford arrived on the
Earth.
--

Regards,
Bruce Munro.  <bruce@stc.UUCP>

okie@ihuxi.UUCP (cobb) (06/27/85)

> 	  In Hitchhikers, it says that Ford Prefect had  mistakenly
> chosen  his  name  to  be "especially inconspicuous".  What is it
> about the name that makes it overly conspicuous...?

Ever read "Brave New World?"  One of the major characters in that
book is a man named Ford Prefect...

B.K.Cobb
ihnp4!ihuxi!okie
AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL

yrdbrd@bmcg.UUCP (Larry J. Huntley) (06/28/85)

In article <3139@garfield.UUCP> jeff1@garfield.UUCP (Jeff Sparkes) writes:

>        In Hitchhikers, it says that Ford Prefect had  mistakenly
>chosen  his  name  to  be "especially inconspicuous".  What is it
>about the name that makes it overly conpicuous?   It's  a  little
>strange,  but  not  THAT strange.  Is this some British joke that
>I'm not aware of?
>

>				Jeff Sparkes
>				garfield!jeff1

"Ford Prefect" is the name of an automobile built by English Ford.
Choosing this for a name has the same effect as an American author
naming a character "Chevrolet Malibu" or (as in Frank Zappa's case)
"Studebaker Hawk."

'brd

--
Larry J. Huntley            Burroughs Corporation
                       Advanced Systems Group   MS-703

  "Just call, and tell them how you feel about muffins...pumpkins...
   waxed paper...Caledonia Mahogany Elbows...and Green Things in
   general...and soon -- a new rapport..."
                                      -Francis Vincent Zappa

fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) (06/29/85)

> >        In Hitchhikers, it says that Ford Prefect had  mistakenly
> >chosen  his  name  to  be "especially inconspicuous".  What is it
> >about the name that makes it overly conpicuous?   It's  a  little
> >strange,  but  not  THAT strange.  Is this some British joke that
> >I'm not aware of?
> >
> >				Jeff Sparkes

It is-the Ford Prefect used to be a very common (and inconspicuous)
car in England

Dave Fritzinger PHRI NYC

allegra!phri!fritz

friedman@h-sc1.UUCP (dawn friedman) (06/30/85)

> 	I took the joke to be that no name is "especially
> inconspicuous" - i think that is amusing in itself. I mean, how
> seriously can you take a book with statements like "the ship hung
> in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't" and "the

And I thought I wasn't going to answer anything today...
I can't resist pointing out that this particular line is not
only valuable as an inversion of the expected, but as an
extremely (at least to me) vivid simile.  The picture of bricks
hanging in the sky instantly appears in the mind, despite its
non-correspondence with reality, and conveys clearly the image
of the impossible Vogon ships.  It was when I found this line,
in fact, that I realized that the author was NOT just a smug,
self-indulgent weirdness apostle, but quite a good writer. I
realized that I could go on with the book without the fear of
reaching the end but not the point.
I think the analogy with Carroll is well taken, precisely because
of this element of artistry as well as insanity.

                               dsf
                      (Dawn Sharon/the Speaker)

I forgot the first analogy that comes to my mind: Oscar Wilde's
"Her hair went quite gold with grief" is different from Thurber's
indictment of typosetters, "A stitch in time saves none" because
the inversion is also a meaningful statement about society (not
a very deep one) as opposed to a statement created for the sake
of the inversion alone.  (Or a statement unintentionally
created, like the one that set Thurber off in the first place:
the misprinting of a line of his so that it became, "The gates
of Hell shall now prevail".  But I digress, or didn't anyone
notice?)
                            dsf

royt@gitpyr.UUCP (Roy M. Turner) (07/01/85)

OKAY!  O-bloody-kay!  So Ford Prefect was the name of a car!  Can we
*puh-lease* move on and not mention it again!?!

T'anx.

--
The above opinions aren't necessarily those of etc, etc...but they
should be!!

Roy Turner
(a transplanted Kentucky hillbilly)
School of Information and Computer Science
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!royt

SR.KAUFMAN@MIT-SPEECH (07/25/85)

From: SR.KAUFMAN@MIT-SPEECH

Poking around in a bookstore last night, I saw that Harmony books has
put out an "Omnibus Edition" of the first three Hitchhiker's books,
with "A New Introduction by Douglas Adams".  The introduction
describes and in part explains how the HHG saga started, and where all
the story lines branch off from each other.  There is also a comment
about Ford's name: Adams explains that Americans did not get the joke,
because the Ford Prefect was only sold in England, but that Ford had
"simply mistaken the dominant life form".

Share & Enjoy,
	Qux
	Qux@MIT-Goldilocks.Arpa
	Kaufman@YaleCS.Bitnet