JAFFE@RUTGERS.ARPA (07/08/85)

From: ncoast!bsa (Brandon Allbery)

Expires:

Well, what about the ``farmers'' in the future in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY?
(Come to think of it, didn't they come back in the last few pages of
CHAPTERHOUSE: DUNE?  :-)

They pulled stunts like causing ``kettles'' to not be able to go beyond
the 100,000th century, and the work at the end that caused the future to
be changed (and, according to latest rumor, replaced aliens with even stranger
humans (i.e. Second Foundationers))?

--bsa
--
Brandon Allbery, Unix Consultant -- 6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, OH 44131
decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa; ncoast!bsa@case.csnet; +1 216 524 1416; 74106,1032

In article <754@ncoast.UUCP> bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
>Well, what about the ``farmers'' in the future in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY?

I believe you are referring to Asimov's novel _The_End_of_Eternity_.
It does indeed deal with manipulating time, and I always thought it
was one of his better works.

friedman@h-sc1.UUCP (dawn friedman) (07/10/85)

> From: ncoast!bsa (Brandon Allbery)
>
> Expires:
>
> Well, what about the ``farmers'' in the future in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY?
> (Come to think of it, didn't they come back in the last few pages of
> CHAPTERHOUSE: DUNE?  :-)
>
> They pulled stunts like causing ``kettles'' to not be able to go beyond
> the 100,000th century, and the work at the end that caused the future to
> be changed (and, according to latest rumor, replaced aliens with even stranger
> humans (i.e. Second Foundationers))?
>
> --bsa

Yow!  I waited and waited, but no one cleared this up; was it entirely
a joke?  Anyway, I was going to mention this book, one of the most
control-oriented of all the time control stories: _The End of Eternity_,
by Asimov, which discusses the moral and long-term (100,000 centuries)
effects of editing reality.  The hero is an Engineer for the people
who have displaced themselves from the timestream to a 'place' called
Eternity, from which they manipulate events for the utilitarian good.
Realities are simply deleted if they work out badly, replaced by some
alternative.  The hero's job, which is actually implementing the
grandfather-killing operations (usually more subtle changes than that
are all that are necessary), is somewhat stigmatized because no one
can quite deal with the fact that they are eliminating the works and
dreams and thoughts of millions of people whenever they make one of these
changes.  ("A billion personalities changed -- just a Technician's
yawn" goes one Eternity catchphrase.)  Very interesting ideas, slightly
waxen characters, some less than believable situations -- typical
very good Asimov.

                                                         dsf
                                                   (the Speaker)

gary@think.ARPA (Gary Sabot) (07/10/85)

Did anyone notice that the girl from planet Gaiea (spelling?) in
Foundation's Edge seems suspiciously like the girl who went back in time
with the engineer in The End of Eternity-- is she a robot who changed
history because of the First Law?  Is Asimov really going to tie
everything he ever wrote together in the next foundation book?

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (07/15/85)

<<
<< Did anyone notice that the girl from planet Gaiea (spelling?) in
<< Foundation's Edge seems suspiciously like the girl who went back in time
<< with the engineer in The End of Eternity-- is she a robot who changed
<< history because of the First Law?  Is Asimov really going to tie
<< everything he ever wrote together in the next foundation book?
/* ---------- */

  Nice guess but no dice. The 111,394 that Noyes lived in existed in a
completely different reality than Gaia did. They  could not be the same
person (thing?).

  Isaac does seem to be tying all of his works together into a single unifed
story.  The next episode will probably take us to  Earth to find out what
has happened there since Pebble in the Sky. I expect that we will find out
that Noyes was behind sending Joseph Schwartz into the future (could he
have been sent to the new 111,394?). She arrived on earth 17 years before
he left and having viewed future realities could  have known that he was
crucial to developing a galactic empire.

  John Eaton
  !hplabs!hp-pcd!john

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (07/26/85)

> Expires:
>
> Well, what about the ``farmers'' in the future in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY?
> (Come to think of it, didn't they come back in the last few pages of
> CHAPTERHOUSE: DUNE?  :-)

Are you referring to Asimov's THE END OF ETERNITY?