[net.sf-lovers] FOOTFALL

tom@LOGICON.ARPA (05/29/85)

From: Tom Perrine <tom@LOGICON.ARPA>

I saw an ad for "Footfall" by Pournell and Niven in this months Analog.
I haven't seen it in any bookstore yet, and they say "it will be here
next month." Has anyone seen it yet?

Please reply directly to me. Thx.

Tom Perrine
tom@logicon.ARPA
Perrine@mit-multics.arpa

lindy@vienna.UUCP (John Lindquist) (06/04/85)

I just recently purchased the book FOOTFALL by Niven and Pournelle.
I haven't seen anyone praise or critize the book.  The two authors
are coming sometime in June to the Bay area for a autograph session at
a local bookstore.

My question is:
	Is it tacky to bring a different book to be autographed rather
	than the one the session is for?

As you can infer from my question I didn't think the book was
"The greatest......" (a reference to the front cover blurb).

However I would like to get their autographs.

john lindquist
ucbvax!olympus!lindy

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/07/85)

In article <151@vienna.UUCP> lindy@vienna.UUCP (John Lindquist) writes:
>I just recently purchased the book FOOTFALL by Niven and Pournelle.
>I haven't seen anyone praise or critize the book.

Q&D non-review (since my real review is promised to a zine elsewhere...)
I'm halfway through footfall ($17.95, 500 pages, more or less) and I'm
enjoying it. Well thought out, well plotted, decent characters, and pretty
cleanly edited. A lot of work has gone into this book, and it is at least
as good as Mote in God's Eye, which I consider their best collaboration. If
they don't blow the ending, they have a real winner. After a string of blah
to worse books, they are definitely back on the right track. Hope they keep
up the good work.

chuq (See, Jerry, I told you I'd keep an open mind on the next one. Good job!)
--
:From the misfiring synapses of:                  Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

The offices were very nice, and the clients were only raping the land, and
then, of course, there was the money...

steven@luke.UUCP (Steven List) (06/09/85)

In article <151@vienna.UUCP> lindy@vienna.UUCP (John Lindquist) writes:
>My question is:
>	Is it tacky to bring a different book to be autographed rather
>	than the one the session is for?
>john lindquist
>ucbvax!olympus!lindy

I've wondered the same thing myself.  Books, Inc. in San Jose has periodic
autograph sessions.  I've gone to a few and seen people come in with
BOXES of books by the author!  It seems to depend very much on the
author.  If you're a collector, then adding an autograph to a
collectable increases its value.  Otherwise, you'd think one is enough.

It probably depends on how many people there are behind you and how long
you can stand their stares.
--
***
*  Steven List @ Benetics Corporation  *  (415) 940-6300

damon@lmef.UUCP (Damon Scaggs) (07/26/85)

I felt that, over-all, this book was certainly of the same caliber as
Mote in Gods Eye (one of my all time favorite books).  However, I felt
that the ending could have been done a little better.  The mini-rebellion
against the President left a bad taste in my mouth.  I don't understand
the need for it.  Also, I was left wondering what happened to the people
in Birmingham.  Last we heard, God wanted an invitation to their party
BAD.  In general, I thought they played up the Survivalists in the begging
alot and then did nothing with them later in the book.  Other than these
few questions (few considering the length of the book), I felt it was
well worth reading.  There was a fair amount of suspense.  I especially
liked the difficult decisions the president had to make.

--
Damon Scaggs
{ihnp4,akgua}!sol1!lmef!damon