[net.sf-lovers] Number of the Beast

@RUTGERS.ARPA:maxson%vaxwrk.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (03/30/85)

From: maxson%vaxwrk.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (VAXworks dtn 223-9408)

	Re: Brenda @Xerox

	I retract my callous figure of speech, but I'm afraid that won't
	make "The Number of the Beast" any better as a story.

	Gaylene asks about Assimov's heart attack. I know he suffered one
	in the late 70's, but survived to speak about it at a lecture in
	'79. You may be hearing about that one, (which was nearly fatal),
	or a more recent event which I haven't heard about. In any event,
	best wishes to Dr. Asimov, and may he forgive me for mispelling
	his name six lines ago.

	Someone asks about John T. Sladek's other stories - I can think of
	one: "Mechasm", an outrageous farce about a California Doll company
	that retools for a Defense contract, and builds a semi-intellegent
	robot which reproduces itself, endlessly - destroying Civilization
	As We Know It. A very funny and entertaining spoof on the American Way.

	Seeing SKZB on the net, I went out and purchased "To Reign in Hell",
	and began reading it this evening.  One question: Just how much did
	you pay Zelazny for the prologue? Only kidding, only kidding...

	"I may be a callous, insensitive boob - but I'm good at it."

					maxson%vaxwrk.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (04/04/85)

> 	Seeing SKZB on the net, I went out and purchased "To Reign in Hell",
> 	and began reading it this evening.  One question: Just how much did
> 	you pay Zelazny for the prologue? Only kidding, only kidding...
>

> 					maxson%vaxwrk.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

Not a thing.  I may as well tell you what happened though, since you
sort of asked and I feel like it.  My editor (Terri Windling--one of
the finest, maybe THE finest fantasy editors working today) is well
aware that, to me, the terms "God" and "Zelazny" are synonamous.  She
sent him copies of JHEREG and YENDI to see if he would do a cover quote.
He did a very nice one, most of which appears on YENDI.  As I was about
to write and thank him, the publishers of To Reign In Hell (the hardcover--
SteelDragon Press) suggested I ask him if we could use that quote for
TRIH--as in, "Roger Zelazny says this about the authors other works."  I
felt a little nervous about asking him to do this without allowing him
to see the book he would sort of endorsing, so I sent him a copy, along
with the suggestion that he just throw it away if he wanted.  The forward
came back in the mail in less than a week--two days before we needed to
send the book to the printer.  Needless to say, it was months before my
feet hit the floor.  I'm not sure they have yet.

@RUTGERS.ARPA,@MIT-MC:LS.SRB@MIT-EECS (04/04/85)

From: "Stephen R. Balzac" <LS.SRB%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA>

	I remember hearing somewhere that the Beast's name, Melrooney,
was an anagram for  L. Ron O'Leemy  (or is that used  in the book?   I
haven't read it for some time, and wasn't too thrilled by it  anyway),
one of Heinlein's pen names way back when.

mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) (04/15/85)

	Am I the only one who enjoyed TNOTB?  I hope not.  I can see
what a lot of folks are saying, but one thing that we should all
remember is that the whole book was deliberitly (sp) done in a very
tounge-i-cheek manner.  Anyone who has read alot of Heinlien's work
should have recognized 75 or 80 percent of the characters in that zoo of
a last chapter.  One character there that I couldn't recognize was the
dragon, Sir Issac Newton. Anybody know where this one came from??

--

  Mike Stalnaker  UUCP:{decvax!grendel,cbosgd!seismo}!dolqci!mike
		  AT&T:202-376-2593

		  "You can have peace, or you can have freedom.
		   Never count on having both at the same time."
						-Lazarus Long.

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (04/16/85)

In article <299@dolqci.UUCP> you write:

>	Am I the only one who enjoyed TNOTB?  I hope not.  I can see
>what a lot of folks are saying, but one thing that we should all
>remember is that the whole book was deliberitly (sp) done in a very
>tounge-i-cheek manner.  Anyone who has read alot of Heinlien's work
>should have recognized 75 or 80 percent of the characters in that zoo of
>a last chapter.  One character there that I couldn't recognize was the
>dragon, Sir Issac Newton. Anybody know where this one came from??

Sir Issac was a major character in the book "Between Planets" ; he was
a member of the dominant race on Venus.  "Between Planets" was a pretty good
juvenile (which I still re-read on occasion), and was interesting in
that it seemed not to be connected very strongly to the future history.
I remember that when I read "Friday" I ran into some internal evidence
that connected "Friday" not only with "Gulf" (pretty explicit, that)
but with "Starman Jones" and "Between Planets", so it looks like a
whole 'nother future history in there....

By the way, I rather liked "Number of the Beast" myself, but then I
liked "I Will Fear No Evil" as well.

Another by the way:  there were not only a lot of Heinlein's other
characters in the end of NotB, but a number of real people as well:
the "Sir Bela" that was mentioned is Poul Anderson in SCA guise.

>--
>
>  Mike Stalnaker  UUCP:{decvax!grendel,cbosgd!seismo}!dolqci!mike
--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

throopw@rtp47.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (04/17/85)

> One character there that I couldn't recognize was the
> dragon, Sir Issac Newton. Anybody know where this one came from??

Sir Issac Newton, along with other interesting characters and isituations,
was from "Between Planets", a novel normally considered for the juvenile
audience.
--
Wayne Throop at Data General, RTP, NC
<the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!rtp47!throopw

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (04/17/85)

[]

>Am I the only one who enjoyed TNOTB?  I hope not.
No, you're not. I liked it too.

> One character there that I couldn't recognize was the
> dragon, Sir Issac Newton. Anybody know where this one came from??
He is from 'Between Planets' one of RAH's juveniles.

>   Mike Stalnaker  UUCP:{decvax!grendel,cbosgd!seismo}!dolqci!mike

--
----
William J. Richard @ Charles River Data Systems

ss@wanginst.UUCP (Sid Shapiro) (04/18/85)

> 	Am I the only one who enjoyed TNOTB?

Nope - I did too.

>                  One character there that I couldn't recognize was the
> dragon, Sir Issac Newton. Anybody know where this one came from??

Of course I don't have my library with me at the moment and I may get
this wrong, but - I believe he was a character in _Between Worlds_ (is
that the real title).  The story, which I am a lot more sure of, is a
boy, Don something, who does some traveling by himself, ends up on
Venus during the Venusian revolt against Earth, fights with the
rebellian.  It turns out that he is carrying s secret message in his
rign from his father to scientists on Venus which will enable them to
do something which will help stop the war.  Sound familiar?
Sir Issac was a Venusian scientist.
/ Sid /

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (04/18/85)

> 	Am I the only one who enjoyed TNOTB?  I hope not.  I can see
> what a lot of folks are saying, but one thing that we should all
> remember is that the whole book was deliberitly (sp) done in a very
> tounge-i-cheek manner.  Anyone who has read alot of Heinlien's work
> should have recognized 75 or 80 percent of the characters in that zoo of
> a last chapter.  One character there that I couldn't recognize was the
> dragon, Sir Issac Newton. Anybody know where this one came from??

Sir Issac Newton is from the book 'Between Planets'.  He  is  Venusian
native who is a member of the venusian equivalent of the royal family.
This is one of Heinlien's 'juvenile' novels, but don't let  that  stop
you  from  reading  it.  I  enjoyed  all  of  these novels, except for
'Rocket Ship Galileo'.  One thing I wondered about the Heinlien  novel
'The  Moon  is a Harsh Mistress' (my favorite RAH novel), is the Hazel
Meade Stone in it susposed to be the same one as the Hazel Meade Stone
in 'The Rolling Stones'?

Actually I didn't think TNOTB was all that bad, though it isn't one
of my favorites. If you want to discuss a clinker, how about 'I Will
Fear no Evil'.

						Joel Upchurch

mercury@ut-ngp.UUCP (Larry E. Baker) (04/19/85)

[p]

. >                  One character there that I couldn't recognize was the
. > dragon, Sir Issac Newton. Anybody know where this one came from??

> ... I believe he was a character in _Between Worlds_ (is
> that the real title).  The story, which I am a lot more sure of, is a
> boy, Don something, who does some traveling by himself, ends up on
> Venus during the Venusian revolt against Earth, fights with the
> rebellian.  It turns out that he is carrying s secret message in his
> rign from his father to scientists on Venus which will enable them to
> do something which will help stop the war.  Sound familiar?
> Sir Issac was a Venusian scientist.

The book is "Between Planets," one of his "young-people" oriented
books.

--
-  Larry Baker @ The University of Texas at Austin
-  ... {seismo!ut-sally | decvax!allegra | tektronix!ihnp4}!ut-ngp!mercury

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/26/85)

Expires:

Admittedly, he does go a bit heavy on the sex; but with *today's* books, I
have learned to ignore it and get to the meat of the story... in this case,
it's a fun romp and nothing else.  Are you so insistent on perfect science,
et al., that you ignore everything else?  If so, go re-join the anti-1999
crowd; we who don't insist that science FICTION be fact will be happier.

It IS getting a bit obvious that he's going into a contracting spiral into
the vortex of {sexy Competent Woman}, though.

--bsa
--
Brandon Allbery, Unix Consultant -- 6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, OH 44131
decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa; ncoast!bsa@case.csnet; +1 216 524 1416; 74106,1032