[mod.ai] Legal reasoning

mayerk@ENIAC.SEAS.UPENN.EDU.UUCP (02/16/87)

Could someone give some pointers into the literature about legal
reasoning. Or better yet, someone you know whom I could contact.

Ken

       /|---------------------------------------------------------------|\
      / |    ARPA:	mayerk@eniac.upenn.seas.EDU		        | \
     |  |    USnail:	Kenneth Mayer				        |  |
     |  |       	University of Pennsylvania, Moore School of Eng.|  |
     -  |       	305 S. 41st St				        |  -
     |  |       	Philadelphia, PA 19104			        |  |
     |  |    GENIE:	MAYERK					        |  |
      \ |    CIS:	[73537,3411]				        | /
       \|---------------------------------------------------------------|/
        "It's a sky-blue sky,		         "The future is a place,
         Satellites are out tonite,         About 70 miles east of here,
         Let X = X..."				   Where it's lighter..."

dave@seismo.CSS.GOV@lsuc.UUCP (02/19/87)

To: watmath!clyde!cbatt!ucbvax!ENIAC.SEAS.UPENN.EDU!mayerk
Subject: Re: Legal reasoning
Newsgroups: mod.ai
Cc: mnetor!seismo!sri-stripe.arpa!ailist

In article <8702160344.AA01571@eniac.seas.upenn.edu> you write:

>Could someone give some pointers into the literature about legal
>reasoning. Or better yet, someone you know whom I could contact.

There's a conference coming up in May at Northeastern University
in Boston, the First International Conference on Artificial
Intelligence and Law. Contact Carole Hafner at Northeastern
or Thorne McCarty at Rutgers (mccarty@rutgers.edu).

Major projects which have been undertaken include McCarty's
TAXMAN system, Kowalski & Sergot's work in Prolog at
Imperial College (Univ. of London), Jim Sprowl's ABF
Processor, Layman Allen & Charles Saxon's work at U of
Michigan, and many others. Check the Rutgers Journal of
Computers, Technology & the Law; also law periodical
indexes under "automation".

There have been two conferences on Law & Computers at the
Univ of Houston, organized by Charles Walter. The 1984 conference
papers were published as a book, "Computing Power and Legal
Reasoning", published by West Publishing Co (St. Paul, MN),
ISBN 0-314-96670-4. The 1985 papers haven't yet been published
that I know of. Both had papers from just about everyone working
in this field in North America, as well as a few from Europe.

I recently completed an LL.M. thesis, "Blueprint for a Computer-Based
Model of the Income Tax Act of Canada", at Osgoode Hall Law School
(York University, Toronto), which contains an implementation of
tax law in Prolog and surveys previous work. (I've also submitted
a condensed version as a paper to the AI & Law conference.)
I can send you a copy if you like.

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Osgoode Hall
Toronto, Canada  M5B 2N6
(416) 947-3466
dave@lsuc.UUCP
{ seismo!mnetor  cbosgd!utgpu  watmath  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave