[net.sf-lovers] Authorial notes

jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) (07/25/85)

> In article <228@hyper.UUCP> brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) writes:
> >I can't hold back on this one.  I have rarely been
> >more put off by anything I read than I was by the
> >afterword to On A Pale Horse.
>
> Agreed. I think it was Lester Del Rey who said that stories ought to live
> or die by themselves, not by their introductory notes. For every author
> note I read in a book or story, I read two or three that drive me up the
> wall (I wasn't particularly thrilled to hear all about harlan ellison's
> vasectomy in Croatoan, for example...)

Hmmm.  I agree that the *story* should not be judged with (or in light of)
its introductory notes.  On the other hand, as a would-be author (I practice
on the net community at large, heh heh), I am fascinated by anything an
author has to say about what was going through his/her head while writing...
--
					AMBAR
                    	{the known universe}!ihnp4!ihlpg!jeand

"To those who love it is given to hear
 Music too high for the human ear." 	--Bruce Cockburn

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (07/27/85)

In article <955@ihlpg.UUCP> jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) writes:
>Hmmm.  I agree that the *story* should not be judged with (or in light of)
>its introductory notes.  On the other hand, as a would-be author (I practice
>on the net community at large, heh heh), I am fascinated by anything an
>author has to say about what was going through his/her head while writing...

Well, as an authorial apprentice, I also appreciate the analysis that I
see of specific stories -- the recent discussions of Reign In Hell rate as
a high point in this group for that. But I also feel that the analysis and
explanation should be kept separate from the original publication --
authors notes tend to degenerate into self-indulgent prose too easily and
often for my taste.

--
:From the carousel of the autumn carnival:        Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Your fifteen minutes are up. Please step aside!