[net.music] Net Activity

Pawka <PAWKA@NOSC-TECR.ARPA> (10/26/84)

	It's good to see some activity on this list!! While we're on the
subject of ECM, doesn't the group ART ENSEMBLE OF CHICAGO record on that
label. I bought one of their albums after all the critical aclaim. I must
be missing something, it sounds like a "weird noise contest". (Nice Guys
is the name, I think). It's a joke right?

					Mike

< p.s. Any Reggae fans out there?? >
------

dpk@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Kingston <dpk>) (10/27/84)

In case you hadn't noticed, the net.music is now gatewayed
to the ARPANET mailing list Info-Music.  I hope that the
gateway will be essentially invisible.  Mail replys will
probably not work at first, but I will be working on that.

					-Doug-

techpub@mhuxt.UUCP (mcgrew) (10/30/84)

> 	It's good to see some activity on this list!! While we're on the
> subject of ECM, doesn't the group ART ENSEMBLE OF CHICAGO record on that
> label. I bought one of their albums after all the critical aclaim. I must
> be missing something, it sounds like a "weird noise contest". (Nice Guys
> is the name, I think). It's a joke right?
>
> 					Mike
>
> < p.s. Any Reggae fans out there?? >
> ------

I DON'T LIKE REGGAE, I LOVE IT!!!

ahearn@convex.UUCP (10/31/84)

Listen to "The Art Ensemble of Chicago with Fontella Bass" (side 1?--
anyway, the non-vocal side) and "People in Sorrow" before you write off
the Art Ensemble. Remember, though, that they're not cool rockin' daddies--
they're dedicated to the avant-garde. You'll probably have to spend some
time with them to "get" what they're doing. (BTW, I maintain that even the
Stones are sufficiently complex to require repeated listenings. Like: do
you get the double entendre that motivates *Sticky Fingers*?)

If you decide that you like the Art Ensemble, check out some of John Coltrane's
later albums (*Meditations* is a personal favorite--art of the most serious
intent), or some of Ornette Coleman's earlier ones (Science Fiction, The Shape
of Jazz to Come). Thelonious Monk and Charles Mingus are also great musicians
well deserving of your attention.

Regards,

Joe Ahearn
Convex Computer Corp.
{allegra, ihnp4, uiucds, ctvax}!convex!ahearn
There go the delicates to the final rinse ...

cuccia@ucbvax.ARPA (Nick Cuccia) (11/04/84)

They used to;  I think that they record for Columbia now.

--Nick Cuccia
--ucbvax!cuccia