[mod.ai] AMERICAN-MILITARISM

marks@ADS.ARPA.UUCP (03/26/87)

> Date: Fri, 20 Mar 87 14:28:46 +0100
> From: mcvax!cwi.nl!tomi@seismo.CSS.GOV (Tetsuo Tomiyama)
> Subject: Policy - American Militarism
>
> Now, I am strongly against such a posting circulated ALL AROUND THE
> WORLD through the net.  [...]   I think
> this kind of postings should be even prohibited from the world wide
> net distribution.  [...]
>
> I propose, therefore, to submit postings relevant to militarism should
> NOT be PROHIBITED but at least requested to be MARKED as military
> related article at the responsibility of original authors (rather than
> by the moderator), just like advertisements from tobacco companies, so
> that if I don't want to read it I can skip it.

re AMERICAN-MILITARISM:

  Very Interesting...that we should get such an opinion from a Japanese.
A review of recent history shows that Japan's main contribution  to  the
20th  century  has  been  a  series  of brutal attempts to subjugate its
neighbors (China, Korea, the Philippines, etc).  The  only  reason  that
Japan  was  not  able  to  impose  its barbarianism on these peoples was
AMERICAN-MILITARISM.  If it had not  been  for  AMERICAN-MILITARISM  the
infamous  and cowardly attack on Pearl Harbor might have ultimately lead
to the subjection of America to the same  atrocities  as  Japan's  other
victims.   It  was the Americans (including the American military) which
rebuilt Japan from a devastated military dictatorship and tried to  give
the  Japanese  people a chance at the opportunities and responsibilities
of freedom...a lesson which is apparently totally lost on  mr  tomiyama.
It  is  common  practice  today  for  the  adherents  of  all stripes of
totalitarianism to decry AMERICAN-MILITARISM  because  it  is  the  ONLY
thing  which stands between them and their goal of world domination.  If
they can get us to reduce our  strength  and  vigilance  then  they  can
resume where they left off 40 years ago.

Philip Marks

  [That's a bit strong, isn't it?  Mr. Tomiyama can hardly be accused
  of desiring world domination just because he's an ardent pacificist.
  I'm sure that many Japanese have learned the lessons you mention.  The
  new generations of Japanese are no more responsible for, or necessarily
  prone to, the excesses of past leaders than I am responsible for the
  past mistreatment of Native Americans, Negros, or Orientals in this
  country.

  AIList is a good forum for debating the linkage of AI and militarism,
  but let's not debate militarism per se.  And for the record, I am the
  one who chose the title "American Militarism".  I think the original
  was just called "Submission for mod.ai".  My choice of title still
  seems appropriate, but I'm sorry if it rankled anyone.  -- KIL]